Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljlpdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
First off, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I know very little about Macs, so I'd love any advice from those of you with more knowledge. A friend of mine asked me to try and sell her like-new PowerBook 2400c/180 laptop. Apparently it was a Japanese version with limited release and collectors have been interested in it in the past, but I don't know how to find any collectors. Other buyers looking for a laptop feel it is too old to purchase, so I was hoping someone on here had some ideas. Do you think I can find a buyer for it? Is a 10+ yr old PowerBook able to be upgraded to have a fast wireless connection? Thanks for any help.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
What OS does it have? Anything above Mac OS X 10.1 is pretty good. Could attract some buyers. If it's older, it still might become popular for nostalgia.

ljlpdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
OS 8.6, 180 MHz (so I guess this isn't the Japanese version). I think this might be more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning towards donating it. I'm sure someone can still use it for basic word processing. Thanks for your help!

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
OS 8.6, 180 MHz (so I guess this isn't the Japanese version). I think this might be more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning towards donating it. I'm sure someone can still use it for basic word processing. Thanks for your help!

Please don't just donate it. It still might end up getting scrapped. I will buy it from you if you don't want an arm and a leg for it. PM me with what she wants for it. I'll pay something reasonalble.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

You're definitely not gonna get squat out of it. Shoot, I complain about the computers here with OS 9. You could probably help someone out who doesn't have a computer at all, but other than that it's pretty much a paperweight.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
If you can find a collector who is missing that particular model maybe...

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Macs are never too old to sell. :)

at work we've got a few old PowerPCs sitting on their shelf, one of which is a 5300 IIRC. The other day we found a working PowerPC 1400 with a charger. it was interesting to play with.

On another occasion we found a Toshiba T1000 in the recycle bin, along with the original carrying case and adapter. Unfortunately that didn't power on but we cracked it open...looks like the switch needs to be re-soldered.

One day I am going into lecture with one of these things and use it to take notes--of people's reactions. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.