Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enzobot24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
I mean ballpark range?

I got 12GB from OWC (2GB modules) - thus a total of 14GB.

I got Temperature Monitor and it says that the RAM is running in the 125-145 F range.

eodp3

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
I just got done with a round of gaming and iStat pro is reporting one of the banks at 162degF.
Back in OS X now and we'll see how long it takes to get back to normal.. which I'm not sure how much it is supposed to be.

Enzobot24

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Those temps are well within normal and well below safe max temps too.

Thanks.

I have another minor question: Under System Profiler, the OWC RAM has no Manufacturer tag or Serial Number - that normal as well? The 2GBs from Apple have some numbers, the OWC stuff reads 0x00000 (and so on).

Sorry if the question is silly, this is my first Mac Pro (and first RAM installation).

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
100% normal - although starting next month, our name - module p/n- and support phone number will be appearing in those two supported fields.

Thanks.

I have another minor question: Under System Profiler, the OWC RAM has no Manufacturer tag or Serial Number - that normal as well? The 2GBs from Apple have some numbers, the OWC stuff reads 0x00000 (and so on).

Sorry if the question is silly, this is my first Mac Pro (and first RAM installation).

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I just got done with a round of gaming and iStat pro is reporting one of the banks at 162degF.
Back in OS X now and we'll see how long it takes to get back to normal.. which I'm not sure how much it is supposed to be.

Question on Istatpro - I want to look at lots of temps, but it will only show me about 8 of them, the little arrows at the top of the box don't scroll and the only way to see certain things like ram temp is for me to uncheck cpu etc .

Is there a way to make that box BIGGER - I rarely use widgits so I don't care if istatpro takes up the whole screen, so long as I can see my temps!

Thanks

BTW, my ram running 83-90 degrees right now

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
Question on Istatpro - I want to look at lots of temps, but it will only show me about 8 of them, the little arrows at the top of the box don't scroll and the only way to see certain things like ram temp is for me to uncheck cpu etc .

Is there a way to make that box BIGGER - I rarely use widgits so I don't care if istatpro takes up the whole screen, so long as I can see my temps!

Thanks

BTW, my ram running 83-90 degrees right now

Hi,
set the skin of iStatPro in "tail" mode, like this:

My temperatures, in celsius:

Ciao. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.