Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hi,

My Iphone will not turn on. I've pushed the power button, held the power and home button for DFU restore, connected it by USB to my mac, Itunes doesn't recognize it. The phone seems totally bricked. It was originally firmware v1.02, upgraded to v1.13 with Ziphone 2.5, and when I started having constant reboot issues, I did a DFU restore and installed Pwnage 1.1. But it still continued to have white screen flashes and rebooting. Now the phone seems dead. What options do I have? At the very least I'd like to do a factory restore so I can take it to the Apple Store without them seeing that pineapple icon upon startup. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Alexander

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Ironic that I am saying in the other post that ZiPhone can cause troubles even if you think your alright and you then post this!

First of all - have you dropped your phone? have you got it wet? Lets rule out actual physical damage to the phone.

If it has not gotten wet or been damaged then it is software related.

Download iLiberty (http://www.ipluspwns.com) and see if it recognises your iPhone. If it does then just try and restore again to stock apple firmware.

If it doesn't then you will have to manually DFU restore. IF you don't get any response at all - the phone is really dead including when you connect it to mains power then ZiPhone broke your phone.

The good news is if it doesn't turn on then Apple won't know what you did to it!

I suggest you also post in the hackint0sh forum as other technically minded people may be able to help you.

But ultimately if it won't respond to DFU and the screen simply doesn't work then you will have to change it for another but no one will have any way of knowing what you did to it on the positive side.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Ziphone

I installed Ziphone ages ago when v1.1.3 was just broken by Geohot and it seemed like Zibri was the only one who snatched the opportunity by the reins. It seems like every week there's a new software method to unlock the Iphone, so yes I would have liked to use pwnage from the getgo, but keep in mind that I've had the Iphone almost since it first came out.

I appreciate the advice about the phone. I can't do DFU restore as Iliberty and Itunes do not recognize the phone and it just doesn't turn on. It might be a battery issue as my mom let the battery run down till it was red. Hopefully, Apple will just give me a new phone, and not turn it on in front of me and embarrass me with that dang pineapple icon!

Thx for the advice!
Alexander

petro22

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Hey dude i had the same problem my i tried to reset my iphone like the setting and everything then the screen was on but it was black so what i did to fix this problem is i connected it to the computer while its off then i held the power and home button till the apple logo appers then then hold the home button till it says to plug it in to itunes then restore the iphone through itunes but u will have to re-jailbreak it :apple:

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
If you have a charger, try connecting it to the iPhone and leaving it there for 3 hours or so. If it doens't charge, then... you prbly have a phone with hardware problems. That means they won't find out it was jailbroken.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Have you tried to turn it on since the attempts after the black screen? I ask, because I got the black screen after using pwnage. When I tried it several hours later, it turned on (without the jailbreak, but I was happy to get my phone back).
After the black screen incident, I decided screw jailbreak. It's not worth the worry about what'll happen if I bring it in to Apple. If you get your phone back, you might want to consider it too.

arsend999

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
iphone black screen of death

Hey, I have the same problem, and after couple hours of looking around and try thing, here is what worked for me...

same procedure as for unlocked.

1. hold for 3 sec the off buttons (top one)
2. hold for 10 sec both off and hold (on screen)
3. hold only the hold one (on screen until your phone will be detect..)

My phone had exactly the same problem..

Hope that will help you..

Good luck..:)

macmy

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
you are a legend

Hey, I have the same problem, and after couple hours of looking around and try thing, here is what worked for me...

same procedure as for unlocked.

1. hold for 3 sec the off buttons (top one)
2. hold for 10 sec both off and hold (on screen)
3. hold only the hold one (on screen until your phone will be detect..)

My phone had exactly the same problem..

Hope that will help you..

Good luck..:)

;) you are a legend.
i just got my replacement phone from apple this morning after cracking the screen and lcd and after trying to jailbreak it it died on me, its never happened before.
man i was so depressed thinking apple would find out if took it back.
we tried everything everyone said but when i plugged it into my computer and followed your steps crazy enough it worked.

kudos to you !! :eek:

Daryln1243

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
i have a similiar problem with black screen
byt nothing so far i have tried works :(
itunes wont pick up my iphone 3g
and i just get a black screen

LadyHeels

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
How to fix the problem

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I went to the beach with my iphone and left it in my bag i guess it was dropped or idk. When I went to check it all I saw was a white screen after trying to press the power button it turned black. I felt it vibrate everytime it turned on and itunes recognized it. I spont two hours doing everything I found on the internet like holding both the home and power buttons etc etc. I decided to give up and left it plugged in my laptop. An hour later when I went to go check on it I found it on restore mode, this gave me hope because it was out of the black screen mode. I then tried everything to get it out of restore mode like, pressing and holding buttons, and trying to restore it on itunes but I kept on getting an error message #20. I left the iphone on until the batter ran out and on the next day I download blackra1n and it took it out of restore mode in about 2mins. I hope this info works!!!!

LadyHeels

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I went to the beach with my iphone and left it in my bag i guess it was dropped or idk. When I went to check it all I saw was a white screen after trying to press the power button it turned black. I felt it vibrate everytime it turned on and itunes recognized it. I spont two hours doing everything I found on the internet like holding both the home and power buttons etc etc. I decided to give up and left it plugged in my laptop. An hour later when I went to go check on it I found it on restore mode, this gave me hope because it was out of the black screen mode. I then tried everything to get it out of restore mode like, pressing and holding buttons, and trying to restore it on itunes but I kept on getting an error message #20. I left the iphone on until the batter ran out and on the next day I download blackra1n and it took it out of restore mode in about 2mins. I hope this info works!!!!

LadyHeels

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
How to fix the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.