Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dufffman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Hi,

I have a MacBookPro that I use in my room connected through ethernet. I am at university and they have only allow one machine to connect to their wi-fi that is available across campus, through mac address filtering. I also have an iPhone which I would love to use wi-fi on, at least while I am in my room lounging around and such.

Anyway, the point being, can I use my MBP (connected through LAN) to act as a router so that my iPhone can connect to it? Essentially create a wireless network, so iPhone would find it and I could go online on it via wi-fi?

I tried going on Airport and clicking on "Create a network" (w/o a password), but I get an error saying "There was an error creating our Computer-to-Computer network.". It doesn't say much else -- is there a better way of doing this?

Many Thanks,

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
england
Simple solution.
Assuming you are on leopard.
Go to sharing in system preferences and enable internet sharing.
If your mac is connected via ethernet then you can set up the airport to allow other machines to "share" the connection.
make sure you use a password though under airport options.
Hope this helps

dufffman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
many thanks -- that worked brilliantly!

one more question -- When I set up a "router" through my macbook in this fashion, can only other Mac's connect to it? Or can I also have a Windows laptop that can connect to it? I see one of the options on the sharing mentioning "Airport" as the source to connect.

My iPhone connected to it nicely, but i wasn't able to connect a windows laptop to it.. any ideas?

Thanks,

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
england
As the previous poster mentioned, you should be able to connect any compatible wireless device.
Make sure you are using the same type if WEP encryption on both devices.

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
england
As the previous poster mentioned, you should be able to connect any compatible wireless device.
Make sure you are using the same type of WEP encryption on both devices.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
You could also group together with neighbours and buy an Airport Express, allowing them access to Wifi etc.

OneBlueFire

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Manila, Philippines
My iPhone connected to it nicely, but i wasn't able to connect a windows laptop to it.. any ideas?

Thanks,

Were you trying to connect both the laptop and the iPhone at the same time? That isn't possible. Your MBP can only accept 1 (one) connection at a time, so it's either your other laptop or your iPhone, but not both simultaneously.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I second the router suggestion. A cheap router offers better security and your MBP does not have to be on for you to get WiFi. Not to mention now you can sit on your bed (or wherever) and get internet. You can just clone the MAC from your MBP to the router. Colleges usually dont care that you have a WiFi network as long as it is for personal use.

Blue muffin 25

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
I have read most of the post but still unable to do it. Could some one help me please?

I have a MBP running on leopard.
So far I have enabled the internet sharing and checked the airport box.
Like so:
Picture2-1.png

I went to network to set up a new connection name "Bacon". But when I try to connect to my "Bacon" network using my iPhone, it doesn't work. All it says is
"airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet", like so:
Picture4.png

Could someone help me please? I don't know what I have done wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.