Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I have a MacBook Pro 15" intel running Tiger 10.4.11,
and a Brand new Mac Pro Tower running Leopard 10.5.2...

I have plugged an Ethernet cable between the 2 Macs,
but cannot seem to find a connection between the two...?

Is there something i have to do in Network System Prefs ?

thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yes, go to System Preferences > Sharing, and check File Sharing (or any other networking services you wish to enable). ...You'll need to do this on both macs.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
have you turned on File Sharing in Sharing Preferenes? your MBP should appear under "Shared" in the Finder sidebar on the MP and vice versa for the MBP.

also instead of plugging an ethernet cable from the MP to the MBP all the time why not just plug the MP into a wireless router and then just file share to the MBP wirelessly? thats if you have a wireless router of course.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
ok, so far, so good......

now i can see both computers, but i can only get into the Public Drop Box..
How can i get into the entire Mac ..?

thanks!

TH-Gunner

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
If you connect the two computers directly together via ethernet, you need a crossover cable.

It's probably easier to use a switch or a router that has a switch.

ok, so far, so good......

now i can see both computers, but i can only get into the Public Drop Box..
How can i get into the entire Mac ..?

thanks!

You'll need to open up other folders for sharing in System Preferences.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
also instead of plugging an ethernet cable from the MP to the MBP all the time why not just plug the MP into a wireless router and then just file share to the MBP wirelessly? thats if you have a wireless router of course.
Naturally, wireless will be numerous times slower, but for the added convenience it may be worth it.

You'll need to open up other folders for sharing in System Preferences.
Or you can click on "Connect As..." at the top of the finder window and enter your user name and password for the other computer.

That's the great thing about macs you do not need a cross-over cable any old eithernet cable will do!!
In fairness, PCs now contain the same auto-switching ports.

decal

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Preston Vic, Australia
Naturally, wireless will be numerous times slower, but for the added convenience it may be worth it.

Or you can click on "Connect As..." at the top of the finder window and enter your user name and password for the other computer.

In fairness, PCs now contain the same auto-switching ports.

Well there you go, I did not know PC now had auto-switching ports! The things you learn reading MacRumors forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.