Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I'm a little bummed about how big it is and that it takes batteries... besides that, great addon :)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
It would be nice if it were smaller, but to have a multicard reader requirs a lot of slots. and it's a lot smaller than a laptop. I'm definitely keen on this product.

battteries aren't a huge issue--I'll bet they last a while, and it's better than powering off the ipod, which runs out of juice quickly enough.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I would of fancied it, if it supported xD but alas not alot of people do.

In any case while it would of been a time and weight saver i already have a 16mb card with 128mb.

EDIT: Oh yeah, i have already bought a USB 2.0 card reader anyway that supports xD.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by noel4r
too freaking expensive for a simple card reader

Good thing it is not a simple card reader. I'm sure the time and weight savings for professionals and prosumers will easily justify $100.

Also, how could it possibly be any smaller while supporting 6 formats? It is barely larger than the iPod itself.

Great idea and implementation...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Originally posted by aphexist
Also, how could it possibly be any smaller while supporting 6 formats? It is barely larger than the iPod itself.

Well you could remove the batteries and have it be powered by the ipod, that WILL save some space for a start. This is flash memory we are talking about, it cannot be *that* hard to have the ipod power it, i mean Belkin does offer a battery pack as well for the ipob anyway.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
$100 is outragous. I'll stick with a nixvue light. 40 gigs for $380.

Now what would be perfect is something that DID run off the batteries, I mean reading flash doesn't require much power at all. And instead of a multi format reader, how about different single format ones? And for $30.

I'm PO'd, because I was hoping to buy the reader and ditch the Nixvue. But perhaps this is coming in the future.

As typical with my posts, I'll add a side note: There are 4 gig CF cards out now, and 12GB is right around the corner.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Good thing it is not a simple card reader. I'm sure the time and weight savings for professionals and prosumers will easily justify $100.

not just a simple card reader? well, what else does it do besides read data?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Yeah, it is a bit pricey. I think I'll just get 2 x 256 compact flash cards instead for my next vacation.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia

well hello - i am a prosumer - I AINT GETTING IT.
I can get a lexar 8-in-1 that also does xD, MSPro whilst beign USB2.0 for about $40.
This is for those people with more money than sense - lets see you edit those photos then ...... what? you need a computer to do that!!!! why not just put the on the laptop use a PCCard -> format converter .......

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the lexar is nice. i wil be getting it soon when my mom gets a DC. I already have one but she is going overseas and doesn't know CF from MS or xD. So I will get her some cards (cause she wont have access to a computer either) and the reader at the same time for a discount.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by benixau
well hello - i am a prosumer - I AINT GETTING IT.
I can get a lexar 8-in-1 that also does xD, MSPro whilst beign USB2.0 for about $40.
This is for those people with more money than sense - lets see you edit those photos then ...... what? you need a computer to do that!!!! why not just put the on the laptop use a PCCard -> format converter .......

Fair enough. I didn't even think about using my lexar 8-in-1 to download my photos to my iPod. Oh, wait...it can't do that. Also, if your intention is to edit photos, then you are looking at the wrong device. This is a specialized device that will be extremely useful for some people (i.e. photographers who need to dump large amounts of photos to free mem cards).

I'm just going to paste in my post from another forum:

I think all the comments regarding the card reader, such as "I would rather just plug into my powerbook" aren't very well thought out. This is a device that is not much larger than the iPod itself, reads 6 formats of digital media, and is self-powered.

I am not a pro photographer, but I bring my camera with me quite a bit. Can you imagine having to open up even a 12" Powerbook and prop it up on something and navigate the download process while:

-in the rain
-at a sports event
-while walking
-while standing on a ladder or riser
-when your laptop is low on batteries and you are out of memory cards

Just think about it.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by noel4r
not just a simple card reader? well, what else does it do besides read data?

Is this a trick question? It stores it on an iPod. I'm pretty sure that is the MAIN selling point for this.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I think the design could have been much better -- would it have been so difficult to have the iPod "docked" to the top of the unit instead of using that silly retracting cable?

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
Its has its uses and while it could be a bit smaller and more convienient I sure was wishing for 1 last year. 10 day trip which included my sisters wedding and by 2/3 of the way throught it I had a half full 20G ipod but all 3 of my cards for my camera were full and I sure wished I could transfer 1 onto the other.

Mind you I only have a second gen ipod anyway and it will probably be 4th gen before I can justify replacing it:(

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
actually, for some people (who cant afford a laptop + card-reader) it is an ok device.

what it should have done IMO is to have the ipod sti on top of it - like an iPaq sleeve or whatever with the dickconnector at the bottom and the actual reader behind the ipod - this way itcould have been a little skinnier and people could have (theorectically) left it attached most of the time whilst on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.