Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I live in oregon, called the closest apple store to my house, and they had a few in stock but had not even taken them out of the shipping boxes yet. Ran up at lunch and grabbed one. Heres a link to the CPU-Z as well, more info on this one than that original utility had. Again, I dont know how to translate all this, but the data appears to match up correctly?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=353588

Hmm it isn't Cantiga. GM965... :(

I am not sure what to make of the E8435 CPUID...

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I live in oregon, called the closest apple store to my house, and they had a few in stock but had not even taken them out of the shipping boxes yet. Ran up at lunch and grabbed one. Heres a link to the CPU-Z as well, more info on this one than that original utility had. Again, I dont know how to translate all this, but the data appears to match up correctly?

Intel GM965 on the NB.

That changes everything. If this read is true, then this is NOT Montevina. Apple somehow managed to get these 1066Mhz speed bumped (or maybe overclocked) CPUs, which are still Santa Rosa era Penryn CPUs. And Intel GM965 is Santa Rosa chipset, that's final.

I was excited to see that Apple got Montevina before everyone else, but it seems that Intel gave Apple some customs chips, based on Montevina specs.

I wonder why Apple did bother to update iMac, since Montevina is going to be introduced in less than 2 months. Is the 65nm clearance push from Intel that ferocious?

macattackamac

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
so, what's the FW chipset, Texas Instruments or Agere? Hope it's TI!!! Otherwise, my RME Fireface400 might not work :S

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yuppi, thanks for the clarification, that's a shame it's not implemented.

H.264 decode is here, at least hardware based.

Quicktime does not use GPU capabilities to decode HD content, but it uses for DVD playback.

I belive, once all Mac line is hardware-wise ready for HD, iTunes+Quicktime will get a new version with GPU co-processor enabled.

So they're not using hardware decoding to play back movie files - if they're only using it for DVD, then they're not doing 264 acceleration at all. That's a shame, I hope they finally get around to implementing it. I guess they could be waiting until all machines have the hardware, but that seems like a silly reason to wait.

I don't have an iMac, so please excuse the noobishness of this question, but I was wondering about the mini-DVI output... does it simply mirror the display or can it be used to extend the desktop to another monitor?

Extended desktop. I think the only mac that doesn't support 2 monitors is the mini (and there's yet another shortcoming of the yes, overpriced box).

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I have a 24" iMac 2.8GHz with 500GB HD and 4GB RAM. I have the ATI Radeon 2600 card too.

Could someone tell me is it worth me buying the new iMac for the processor and video card benefits??? I'll be listing the current one on ebay.

all depends on your needs? If your a gamer and want windows on it than yes it's worth it for the improvements. If your a home user and just want to do basic tasks and some video editing Hell no your current Imac is going to be good for a few years...

Honestly I want the new video card and im upset I got last years Imac it's great but gaming on windows with it kinda sucks.. But for anything MAC related it kicks butt..

I want a refresh Mini, with a 8800GTS 2 Gigs of ram in it with 500gig HD... Im all over that for $1000.00

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Intel GM965 on the NB.

That changes everything. If this read is true, then this is NOT Montevina. Apple somehow managed to get these 1066Mhz speed bumped (or maybe overclocked) CPUs, which are still Santa Rosa era Penryn CPUs. And Intel GM965 is Santa Rosa chipset, that's final.

I was excited to see that Apple got Montevina before everyone else, but it seems that Intel gave Apple some customs chips, based on Montevina specs.

I wonder why Apple would bother update iMac, since Montevina is going to be introduced in less than 2 months.

This story has been updated (and a number of posts have cleared it up), it's SR not Montevina.

Update: It appears that Intel is once again providing a custom chip for Apple in the 3.06 GHz top-end model. According to TGDaily the chip is still a Santa Rosa-era chip but the only technical difference between it and the upcoming X9100 "Montevina" CPU appears to be the a 11 watt TDP differential.

tenks

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Just in case you missed my previous post...

from molin's link http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=353588

"NB : Intel GM965 rev C0
SB : Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)"

Northbridge = GM965
Southbrige = ICH8-ME

GM965+ICH8 = Santa Rosa

It's a tweaked Santa Rosa that supports 1066 MT/s FSB and DDR2-800 SODIMMs. Its just a renamed x9100 for the CPU. Why OC a mobile part ( a 800mhz penryn) when you dont have to (X9100s are out)?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Thanks a lot molintorch. I agree with the others that it is some sort of overclocked PM/GM965 (Santa Rosa) based iMacs.

The video card looks like a stock 8800M GTS.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
all depends on your needs? If your a gamer and want windows on it than yes it's worth it for the improvements. If your a home user and just want to do basic tasks and some video editing Hell no your current Imac is going to be good for a few years...

Honestly I want the new video card and im upset I got last years Imac it's great but gaming on windows with it kinda sucks.. But for anything MAC related it kicks butt..

I want a refresh Mini, with a 8800GTS 2 Gigs of ram in it with 500gig HD... Im all over that for $1000.00

I was hoping to run some more recent games on it yeah... With the revelations about this being a custom processor, I'm wondering if the new one will run hotter and or louder than the 2.8GHz extreme I have in my current iMac

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I don't have an iMac, so please excuse the noobishness of this question, but I was wondering about the mini-DVI output... does it simply mirror the display or can it be used to extend the desktop to another monitor?

If you look on Everymac.com, they list what 2nd display support each model has about halfway down each page. For example, the previous top-of-the-line iMac had this listed in its specs:

"2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring
2nd Max. Resolution: 1900x1200*

Details: Apple reports that this model supports "digital resolutions up to 1920x1200" and "analog resolutions up to 2048x1536"."

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I think macs have only recently become cool - if you consider cool as in more people are switching. And that's only coz u can boot Windows on them - if they were still on underpowered PPC architecture no one would care.

I think you need help:rolleyes: Apple has sold millions of computers before the Mac could run Windows. :rolleyes:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
EDIT:

I ran GPU-Z as well, heres a link to the results. Would someone please explain what they mean? haha! :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/43pxg/
Thanks for this. It seems nVidia has made a custom GPU available for Apple as well. The G92M appears to be a mobile derivative of the 8800GT, which I don't believe nVidia has launched yet.

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_55nm_Mobile_Graphics_Cards_Unveiled/5705.html

In fact, according to the roadmaps, the G92's mobile derivative is only supposed to be used in the top of the line 9800M GTX. However, based on the 64 shaders, this G92 is configured like the G94 which is basically the G92 cut down from 128 shaders to 64 shaders and used in lower-end 9800M variants. So the explanation is that either it is misreading and the G92M that is detected is actually the G94. Or the most likely explanation, is that these are versions of the G92M that have a defect preventing all 128 shaders from working so they cut it down to 64 shaders and gave it to Apple to call a 8800 GS to differentiate it from the G94 core. Either way it should be a very decent GPU upgrade from the HD 2600.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Cancel

I think I might cancel my new order... :(

This custom chip thing is bothering me for some reason...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
To my knowledge, Santa Rosa does not support 1066MHz FSB nor 800MHz memory speeds, both of which are said to be present in this new iMac and both part of the Montevina systemboard spec.

Sadly, unless CPU-Z and Intel Processor ID are wrong, it is Santa Rosa...

molintorch

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Oregon, USA
anyone can check that plz???

I just got done running 3dmark 2006 with all the default settings, free version... heres the scores

8248 3Dmarks
SM2.0 score: 3501
HDR/SM3.0: 3328
CPU Score: 2769

I also checked device manager in vista, and it shows the firewire as
AGERE OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394

I'm rebooting back into OSX now, if someone wants any other benchmarks ran, please PM me and let me know. Hope this info helps!

macattackamac

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
thank you molintorch, it just seems that the imac i ordered will not be compatible with my semi-pro audio card..... anybody else working on music/audio faced similar problems with the latest imac extreme before??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.