Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Yep, thats Steve. Id like to say the pic looks authentic, but it just smells of photoshop from the quality and the angle discrepansies between his face and the screen .

Here is a picture of Steve Jobs:

3155017785.jpg

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It's real. It's from the iTMS for Windows presentation on Thursday. He demoed iTunes for Windows...well, using a Windows machine.

What's the big deal?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Man, I guess I was wrong. I was kind of hinting to its fakeness by the fact that he is using a Dell monitor instead of...well...any other monitor he could have possibly chosen.

But, I guess whats done is done.

(by the way, I never saw the iTMS for windows presentation)

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
That is going to give me nightmares:(

The question is what do they do with the dell after the keynote.
seeing it in a trash compactor would be cool.:D

edit: I dont dislike pc's THAT much just to clarify:)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
okay, the shot was not an accident, so little is with steve-- i'll bet he did it as an ironic joke. dell and jobs have had a little rivalry going for a while, and i think Jobs regards this as a huge opportunity to gain switchers. So it's poetic justice that it should be shown to the world on a dell, the PC maker he hates most...

pnw

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by dho
That is going to give me nightmares:(

The question is what do they do with the dell after the keynote.
seeing it in a trash compactor would be cool.:D

edit: I dont dislike pc's THAT much just to clarify:)

dropping it off of a roof or abusing it beyond all recognition with baseball bats is always awesome.

I bet Jobs either kept it or donated it to somewhere.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by etoiles
the image is featured in the SF Chronicle (at least online), but I am pretty sure the DELL logo has been doctored in...

Look at the presentation stream one more time. It's a Dell, folks. There's no problem with that. They used a Dell with Xeon processors to demo the performance of the G5 against PCs. And I agree with Paul. Also, it's an indelible image, the sort of thing Steve would find funny.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Look at the presentation stream one more time. It's a Dell, folks. There's no problem with that. They used a Dell with Xeon processors to demo the performance of the G5 against PCs. And I agree with Paul. Also, it's an indelible image, the sort of thing Steve would find funny.

If I were Steve, I'd have slapped a nice big Apple sticker onto the back of the Dell.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I just didn't see the logo on the screen in the presentation...but then I didn't watch the whole thing either...

The image is pretty cool, actually. I can almost hear Steve say: "Here I come, Dell. Resistance is futile"
:p

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder if this conversation ever took place...

*phone rings*
Michael Dell: Hello, thank you for calling Dell how can I help you today?
Steve Jobs: Hey Mike it's Steve-o, I need to place an order.
MD: I'm sorry, who?
SJ: Steve Jobs... from Apple. I need to place an order.
MD: No, seriously, who is this.
SJ: I'm Steve Jobs.
MD: C'mon. Yer pullin' my leg.
SJ: No, I'm not. I need to buy a PC.
MD: Is this you Bill?
SJ: No, this really is Steve Jobs from Apple. Why don't you believe me?
MD: Okay, haha funny guy. You almost had me going there. As much as I'd like to keep playing this game I've got a business to run and competitors to undercut. *click*
SJ: Hello? Micheal? Heeelllllllooooo?

Lethal

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Using a DELL was probably a deliberate move... simply because DELL hasn't even shown off their musicmatch branded store yet (live) that they have announced. Instead, Steve using their own hardware showed another music store running. Nice jab.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Someone in another thread pointed out a good reasoning behind the Dell: Steve gave great publicity to the competitor that would benefit from it the least. Dell already has a stranglehold on their market, the free publicity isn't going to help them much.

PS: Steve used a PC notebook for freaking ever, up until (I THINK) the G4 Powerbooks came out. I mean think about it, he founded and ran NeXT and even they dropped PPC for Intel (and then died, EXACTLY like Be, Inc, did.)

And I'm pretty sure Steve's PC notebook was a Thinkpad.

Likvid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2003
Of course Steve uses a Dell, his own hardware is way too slow to be productive.

Apple users only think about their design, they always forgot you also need to be productive.

If Steve was smart he would release OSX for x86-platform, then we wouldn't need the extremely slow Apple hardware and we would get the best of both worlds.

Why buy an Apple when you can have Dell which is 5 times faster?

kettle

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Likvid

Apple users only think about their design, they always forgot you also need to be productive.

If Steve was smart he would release OSX for x86-platform, then we wouldn't need the extremely slow Apple hardware and we would get the best of both worlds.

Ha Ha you! nice try feeble weeble:p

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Originally posted by Likvid

You are new here arn't you?

jer2665

macrumors regular
i feel it was definately a deliberate move on jobs' part. I think it was pretty damn smart. With dell coming out with their own copies of itunes and the ipod, i think this is kind of a tuant. Also Dell's obviously the biggest name in pc's, and if it runs on a dell people will realize it will run on their pc. I dont think ANYONE will see this and think "oh boy, he's got a dell, if it's good enough for steve, it's good enough for me." Also, obviously he could have gotten some no name box, and a no name monitor that would have done the job just as well, this was a nice stab at Dell. I normally hate Jobs' but this i give him credit for, i think it's pretty funny to show up with their competitors computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.