Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
mac.JPG

G4 Power Mac rev 3.3
1.25 GHZ
1 GiG RAM
80 GIG HD

silver door

right whats this model commonly known as? Its got the silver door.

cost me £75 off ebay for anyone who is interested, looking for the manual on apples site but can seem to find anything specific to this model.
Just won the auction so i am geeking up on it :)

robotica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Thanks for that :)

now if only i could find the bloomin manual for it on apples site
( i am prob failing due to my ignorance of these models of macs :(

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Thanks for that :)

now if only i could find the bloomin manual for it on apples site
( i am prob failing due to my ignorance of these models of macs :(

Well, it is kind of old.

But, that was a ridiculous deal you just got. You should be really, really happy. :)

robotica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
o yeah :) i am totally over the moon of course! a new apple is coming to me :)

found the manuals at long last - seems i may need a few things for my new mac

USB 2.0 Card
SATA Card
and maybe airport card.

I am not really sure what it comes with - the auction was just some lass who wanted rid cos she got a new one. Bet hey at least it will run leopard, its going to be the master machine serving my we home network with files and such like.

a little confused by the manual. It says I can install 4 HD in this bad boy.
to do that would i need to take out the CD drive?

or does power mac have 5-6 IDE's?

thanks muchly :)

Tbarr

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Power Mac G4/1.25 GHz (June 2003)
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/mdd-power-mac-g4-1.25-ghz.html

This model has a 167 MHz system bus, two media drives bays (so you can have a SuperDrive and a fast CD burner), four RAM sockets, and three independent drive buses that each support two devices. An ATA/33 bus is used for the media drives, an ATA/100 bus that connects to the stock hard drive, and an unused ATA/66 bus. There are four hard drive bays inside this G4.

You can place a 5th HD in the lower optical bay, but it will run hotter than normal. You would also want to connect that drive to a SATA/PATA card as the Optical bays are supplied by an ATA-33 bus. I added a PCI Slot fan, two small fans behind the CPU heatsink, removed the internal speaker, left the lower bay's door cracked... and it still ran hot... and noisy. And the power supply died after 4.5 years. :mad:

My dad now uses my old FW800 G4, with a lot of extras removed and a new power supply...

robotica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
good first hand info there.... thanks :)

there must a way to change the fans to "silent" models ? does it just use normal PC fans and connectors?

also for the PSU i hear that apple wire them up differently so you have to buy and apple PSU ( which is soo soo low of apple ) but surly there must be an adapter cable to convert non apple PSU into apple compatible?

as for heat. i am not to bothered people seem to get in a tizzy over heat, as long as the system is stable :) and quiet that the main things. dont get me wrong... heat will be delt with if it is getting too hot, some more silent fans hopefully will do the trick :) what do you think? any more advise you can give?

i am right in thinking i cant use an off the shelf USB 2.0 card?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Oh, Belgium! It's NOT spelled like that. The frigtards who made that game are idiots!

It's crisis. CRISIS. Didn't OS X's spell-checker catch that?

It's called grammiosis hammeroscopy, and I'm happy to have it.

Tbarr

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Well, since so many people had a problem with the heat/noise, you can find articles everywhere. One of my favorites is here;
http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/

If it is a single processor, that should help quite a bit. It's just that the case design doesn't fare well when you start loading it up. That's why the G5s/MacPros are so much larger. Much better cooling. You should be able to use many off the shelf USB2 cards, just stay away from the ones made by SYBA that have a Firewire port, good for Panics.

And the Power Supply can only be an Apple one, special design. The new ones are more than US $200... more than what you paid for the G4 :eek: Of course, you could get a cheaper used one...

Have Fun

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Robotica
I had the dual 867 version of the mirror drive. I really liked the fact that it used memory that was cheaper / easier to find then the early G4's that used the PC133 or PC100 memory.

I added a 4 port Adaptec USB 2.0 card and it seemed to work fine for attaching external devices like camera's and a scanner.

The noise is a bit noticeable, but if you keep the tower under or beside your desk it helps.

Tbarr

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
:)
does the mac come with no fan on that massive HS by default? or was that an after market mod
There is a large fan in the case that lines up with the CPU heatsink when you close the case. That's why there isn't a fan mounted on the heatsink itself. The built-in fans are software controlled and begin speeding up at around 133-134F. The idea behind the two extra fans behind the heatsink and the PCI Slot fan is to keep the built-in fans from having to speed-up. With those extra fans My FW800 Dual 1.25 never got above 130F. The built-in fans never ran above idle, keeping them quiet. I had, Two video cards, 1.75GB Ram, a USB card, a SATA card, and 5 Hard Drives. The most heat was generated by the ATI x850 and ATI 7000. If it's just a server, I would suggest a single lightweight video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.