Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmpknetr21

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Okay, has any other iPod been like the iPod touch before with it's OS? Um, no. What I can say is that I can see a hack coming out of this for the Jailbreak community.

Um, how many times has the iPod touch been updated that had cost a fee? Once. Yes, we did roar because it's bogus that they charged us in the first place. We're paying money on an already over-priced product, especially $400.

Dude, seriously? You need to chill. Steve was VERY clear when he and the executive team said that iPhone revenue would be recognized on a subscription basis, unlike other Apple products that are recognized immediately. Therefore, touch owners will always have to pay for software updates, as they will probably have to when iPhone software update 2.0 comes out. It's ain't bogus; it's just that touch owners weren't listening.

Besides, this whole wi-fi thing is an AT&T thing, NOT Apple. Buy the $20 a month contract from AT&T for unlimited wi-fi from your touch and portable and use that if you're so inclined.

Lastly, the touch ain't overpriced; it's a hell of a product and will become the cornerstone of Apple's ultra-mobile lineup as time passes. The touch is great!

pmpknetr21

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Actually, speaking of the WiFi Music Store, what happened to [Starbucks being available on] that. It seems Apple has dropped the ball or something. End of 2007 it was available in New York, San Francisco and Seattle and by the end of February 2008 it was supposed to be available here in Los Angeles (and Chicago by March) and yet, here it is almost May and none of the music playing in a Starbucks anywhere in Los Angeles shows up as "Playing Now" in the WiFi Music Store on an iPhone. Anyone know what happened to this feature?

I'm sure they're still working out the details and rolling out the network. Starbucks has 7000 locations; that's a lot. I have a friend that works for Starbucks; trust me: nothing is ever done on time.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I just got back from a BN with a Starbucks in it.
I was greeted with the regular AT&T WiFi screen, asking me for a username and PW.
:confused:

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
I just got home from working at STARBUCKS!! gah, had I known I wouldve tried it out while I was working!

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Actually, speaking of the WiFi Music Store, what happened to [Starbucks being available on] that. It seems Apple has dropped the ball or something. End of 2007 it was available in New York, San Francisco and Seattle and by the end of February 2008 it was supposed to be available here in Los Angeles (and Chicago by March) and yet, here it is almost May and none of the music playing in a Starbucks anywhere in Los Angeles shows up as "Playing Now" in the WiFi Music Store on an iPhone. Anyone know what happened to this feature?

I'm sure they're still working out the details and rolling out the network. Starbucks has 7000 locations; that's a lot. I have a friend that works for Starbucks; trust me: nothing is ever done on time.

Not sure what details need to be worked out since, as I previously mentioned, it has already been rolled out in three other cities last year. And they [Apple] seemed to have already planned out everything last year (hence Jobs mentioning "Available in Los Angeles by February 2008, Chicago by March and the rest of the U.S. by 2009").

It's just one thing I've been kind of excited about since I do go into Starbucks everyday (not for the coffee though) and occasionally they do have something playing (some old Jazz or Blues song or some new artist) that I am curious about and would like to see pop up on the iPhone. Just thought that would be a pretty neat and innovative little feature that seems to have lost it's steam before it really got completely rolled out... I'm surprised no one else has really been too interested in this.

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Dude, seriously? You need to chill. Steve was VERY clear when he and the executive team said that iPhone revenue would be recognized on a subscription basis, unlike other Apple products that are recognized immediately. Therefore, touch owners will always have to pay for software updates, as they will probably have to when iPhone software update 2.0 comes out. It's ain't bogus; it's just that touch owners weren't listening.

Besides, this whole wi-fi thing is an AT&T thing, NOT Apple. Buy the $20 a month contract from AT&T for unlimited wi-fi from your touch and portable and use that if you're so inclined.

Lastly, the touch ain't overpriced; it's a hell of a product and will become the cornerstone of Apple's ultra-mobile lineup as time passes. The touch is great!

Sorry for the rage earlier, it happens when you have a 10-page English paper due tomorrow. I agree that the iPod touch is going to be the cornerstone of the iPhone OS revolution, but still, I think that $400 is way overpriced.

And about the Starbucks thing, I've come to a conclusion: I don't go to Starbucks at all. :p But still, great idea to attract iPhone customers.

And, yes, the Touch is great!

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Good deal for AT&T

This is a wise move for AT&T for multiple reasons, but one I haven't seen mentioned yet is that iPhone users will use EDGE if they can't get onto WiFi so I am sure diverting these users to WiFi takes load from the cellular network and hence reduces AT&T's costs or at least limits demand for EDGE so not as much build-out is required.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I have an iPod touch and this is bitter to me. Tisk another example of Apple screwing over Touch owners. But, if I were Apple, to get more revenue, maybe have what they did with the January Software Update and charge like 10 bucks to use this. I don't know, or maybe just include it for free.:rolleyes:

How much do you pay ATT (or Apple, for that matter) per month? WHY should they give you a service that costs them money for free? It's too bad, Americans used to lack that entitled attitude (coming from an American).

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 - iPhone

It works! (be sure to open new window after performing above)

edit: Navigate in Safari to Preferences > Advanced and at the bottom check "Show Develop menu in menu bar"

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 52,878

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
A step backwards

This is disappointing, to think that a promotion would limit its audience to AT&T-iphone users. There are thousands of places that have free wifi for your laptop, your iphone and your ipod-touch. And they expect me to be excited that I can use their wifi if I subscribe to their other services, aka spending money. This is a joke. The internet is not a premium its a fundamental, like napkins. What next drinking fountains that require you have an account with the water utility. Cyber cafe Outlets that only give electricity to certain power company users. Sports bars that only show cable to subscribers. Roads that can only be used by certain car buyers. I cant say their promotion isnt good publicity after all its front page macrumors news. Its the lack of forethought that reduces my confidence in Star-Bucks and the other participating wifi hotspots. but I think its admirable AT&T would take such an initiative to broaden their users accessibility.
However all parties fail to capture the big picture that free internet is going to be an essential,rudimentary resource for customers.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This is disappointing, to think that a promotion would limit its audience to AT&T-iphone users. There are thousands of places that have free wifi for your laptop, your iphone and your ipod-touch. And they expect me to be excited that I can use their wifi if I subscribe to their other services, aka spending money. This is a joke. The internet is not a premium its a fundamental, like napkins. What next drinking fountains that require you have an account with the water utility. Cyber cafe Outlets that only give electricity to certain power company users. Sports bars that only show cable to subscribers. Roads that can only be used by certain car buyers. I cant say their promotion isnt good publicity after all its front page macrumors news. Its the lack of forethought that reduces my confidence in Star-Bucks and the other participating wifi hotspots. but I think its admirable AT&T would take such an initiative to broaden their users accessibility.
However all parties fail to capture the big picture that free internet is going to be an essential,rudimentary resource for customers.

You realize that your argument is asinine, right? Quit complaining and go to your "thousands" of places that offer free wi-fi. That's the solution to your problem. As much as you would love to believe that wi-fi should be offered by every public forum for free to anyone and everyone, the reality of the matter is that it's nobody's obligation to supply you with something that you would like to have for free.

Quit complaining and wasting our time. "k thx bye"

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
maybe this is a sign that AT&T's contract for iPhone exclusivity isn't as long as we thought? It seems that AT&T is trying more and more to make the iPhone agreement more attractive. I already have AT&T so I'm stoked to have Wi-Fi speeds at Starbucks when I get my 2nd Gen iPhone (READ APPLE: I won't buy a iPhone till the next gen comes out- so hurry up already!). This might make more people less against AT&T's wireless plans- if for $60 you get access to Edge and all their WiFi spots, thats not bad. Better than T-Mobile!
I think your right on the money, this is definitely the latest of a series of signs that AT&T's iphone monopoly is coming to an end. For instance: if you keep playing AT&Ts game youll "pass GO" and receive a $200(rebate).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.