Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
New York
alright, so my cousin told me that in some cases Apple could replace your old mac with your new one, with some sort of deduction.

i have the last white imac 20",
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
if that helps.

i looked online and the exact one i have is being sold by Apple, on the refurbished page of apple.com for about $949.

so if i brought it in to an apple store, how much would i get off? i really want a better mac.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
If you mean trading in your old iMac for a new one... Apple doesn't do that. There are a few services where you can sell your iMac to a company and get the money back, but by doing that you'll loose hundreds of dollars off the machines cost. Your best bet is to sell your iMac on eBay or Craigslist if you want a new one.

If I may ask, why do you want a new Mac? The last generation white iMac's are still excellent machines, and the screens are much better than the ones offered in the current models. From your sig it says you have 1GB of RAM, and it might be a benefit if you upgrade to 2GB. It would help speed the machine up quite a bit.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
New York
how would i go about putting in another gig of ram, or possibly putting in a new video card if thats possible?

my friend said that he had a friend whom uncovered his imac and installed new parts in it?? i didnt think that was possible.

dont get me wrong, i love this mac i'm using now, its just it doesnt have a good graphics card and memory for what i do.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
how would i go about putting in another gig of ram, or possibly putting in a new video card if thats possible?

my friend said that he had a friend whom uncovered his imac and installed new parts in it?? i didnt think that was possible.

dont get me wrong, i love this mac i'm using now, its just it doesnt have a good graphics card and memory for what i do.

The iMac has a latch near the speaker grilles underneath the LCD screen. Very simple to install RAM, just unscrew and pop in the modules.

Unfortunately, the one thing you cannot upgrade is the graphics card. The card is soldered onto the motherboard, thus limiting any upgrades. If you want a better graphics card your only option is upgrading to the latest iMac or getting a Mac Pro.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas

Slightly different iMac, but I'm pretty sure the RAM installation is the same as shown here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.