Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowdyroutzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm trying to not get discouraged about this one. I thank you in advance for any time you may help me with.

I have been using this HP All-in-one 6100xi for a while now on several different computers. I was running OSX 10.3.9 on my PowerBook G4 but now I upgraded to 10.4.1 on same computer. I tried using the scanner function but it didn't work. I tried it from photoshop and from the HP Scan Pro. I was able to print no problem though. So then I uninstalled the software and reinstalled the newest Driver from the site

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=79480&lang=en

»HP All-in-One printing-only web installer for Mac OS X v10.2.8, v10.3 and v10.4

After installing it the same occurred. I got on the phone with HP and they had me check the hardware which was fine, I printed a color copy from the glass of the scanner.

So i can print now as before but cant scan from any application. It gives me a message saying "scanner can't be found" or "scanner is not connected" or "initialized"...

What I'm starting to think is that the driver says printer only and I'm wondering if there's another driver that doesn't specifically exclude any other functions. Regardless if any of you have suggestions I would be very happy to hear them thanks.

dingster1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
MD
Yeah, HP has driver issues, lately. Check their site again for updated driver and install. I had this same issue with my c4200 series/MBP

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Did you find a driver that worked? I have a PSC 2110 all-in-one with the same issue. Good printing, no scanning.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
just checking but your not running through airport express or anything like that are you?

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
The HP All-in-one software suite never worked very well for me with Tiger and my PSC All-in-one 1110 stopped scanning when I upgraded to Leopard. The HP driver page says there is an "upcoming release" of Leopard software but this statement has been there since NOV 2007. I've contacted HP repeatedly about this and they change their answer all the time. Others I've talked with said HP replied to them saying now there will be no support for many of the earlier All-in-ones under Leopard. BUT, last week I was told by HP to just keep waiting. Evidently they have no idea what's going on. I'm buying a new printer/scanner next week and guess what...it won't be an HP :mad:

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
The HP All-in-one software suite never worked very well for me with Tiger and my PSC All-in-one 1110 stopped scanning when I upgraded to Leopard.
<snip>

BUT, last week I was told by HP to just keep waiting. Evidently they have no idea what's going on. I'm buying a new printer/scanner next week and guess what...it won't be an HP :mad:

That's it right there. You get hold of an all-in-one support person, and they don't know why it doesn't work in Leopard. So they ask one of their floor agents and they tell them whatever was the latest thing they heard.
Or they ask if the phone agent read their emails that morning. (all latest issues are supposed to be mentioned there)

In this case at least they can't bump it to their laptop department because KV (notebooks) do not deal with Macs, they only deal with Compaq and HP hardware. Even if the laptop person might know how to do it.

former KV person.

rowdyroutzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Thank You All

The only answer I have is that there might not be one, heh:)

I'm going to drop it for now but thank you for your support and I may just have to buy a new one:0

thanks yall

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Stick with Epson and Canon for your All-In-One and Photo printer needs and your problem should be solved lol. Then again I haven't checked to see what Canon's driver support is like for Leopard but it's surely better than HP.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Stick with Epson and Canon for your All-In-One and Photo printer needs and your problem should be solved lol. Then again I haven't checked to see what Canon's driver support is like for Leopard but it's surely better than HP.

In regards to the canon comment and leopard, I can tell you (I have an MX310 all in one) and it runs just fine.

There ARE 2 separate driver packages though, one says printer and the other scanner. Once I installed the scanner, the scanner part works with Image Capture and the Canon Utility. Once you install the printer driver the print function is set.

Maybe the HP has a separate driver for scanning? I'm assuming you tried from Image Capture.

Definitely sounds driver related your issue.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada

Just FWIW, I once had a portable B&W Canon BJ that worked with an Atari ST, an LC Mac, and a 386 Acer Laptop. Realized quickly that the Stylewriter cartridges were interchangeable with it too.

Normanc994

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
Scanning from HP All-in-one

Same thing here, except the HP Officejet J4580 does scan when I connect it directly to the iMac running Snow Leopard. With Airport Extreme, the scan box disappears, and I can only print. Not a problem, just a solution. Not a glitch, just a design feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.