Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frednick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Hi all,

I've got my table of contents with the page numbers aligned to the right side. The toc consists all the titles I've used in my Pages document. In this document I gave these titles different numbers, i.e. I've used the styles for creating a list. So in my document I have something like this:

1 Food
1 1 Vegetables
1 1 1 Carrots
text about carrots
1 1 2 Tomatoes
text
1 2 Fruit
1 2 1 Apples
text about apples
1 2 2 Lemons
text about lemmons
2 Drinks
2 1 Hot drinks
2 1 2 Coffee
text..

I don't want to start a discussion about wheter or not a tomato is a fruit or a veg ;). I would like to know how i get these numbers in my Toc ? Right now I have this toc :

Food 1
Vegetables 1
Carrots 1
Tomatoes 2
Fruit 3
Apples 3
Lemons 4
Drinks 5
Hot drinks 5
Coffee 6

But I want something like this :

1 Food 1
1 1 Vegetables 1
1 1 1 Carrots 1
1 1 2 Tomatoes 2
1 2 Fruit 3
1 2 1 Apples 3
1 2 2 Lemons 4
2 Drinks 5
2 1 Hot drinks 5
2 1 2 Coffee 6

I must say that I have all these titles in the same style in my document.

Can somebody show me how to do this ? And also, is there a possibility of changing the text layout in this Toc according to the layout I've used for these titles in my Pages document ?

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
I've had a few problems myself with Pages' ToC. It's not very flexible.

Your best bet is to put "1. Vegetables" as the title in the actual document body, then 1 1 2 Tomatoes 2 etc.

oh, and btw. Tomatoes ARE fruits :D

frednick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Hey,

Thank you for your post. But I must say that I don't get what you mean..

Do you have a way of adding those list numbers that I use inside the document, in the Toc ?

Thx

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
No no no! :eek:

The ToC will be picking out the designated titles from the document you're writing, correct? You'll have picked a specific 'style' to be included in the ToC.

Well, change the ACTUAL title in the document, then the ToC reference to that document will change. Still don't understand?!

Another way might be to open up inspector (CMD + OPTN + I) and go to the text pane, then click list and change the bullets and numbering to list as opposed to none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.