Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KenAllen07

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
After mistakenly and unknowingly putting my iBook on my lap with a NeFeB magnet in my pocket, the hard drive was partially erased.

Afterwards I re-installed OSX and it worked for about 24 hours. Then it just froze up and crashed.

Now I hear some slight clicking out of the hard drive when booting up, and I get a blank light blue screen (not as crazy blue as the windows BSOD). When I try to put in the restore CD, or go into single user mode to do a fsck, it just stays at that blue screen.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
First off that must suck man. Hopefully all your data was previously backed up. And another, why would you walk around with a powerful magnet in your pocket :p

Did you try to do a hardware test using your HW test cd? Maybe the head got f'd up and scratched the platter. But doesn't a failing hdd just give the blinking "?" at start up? Anyone know if that magnet could have screwed up anything else? Good luck replacing the hdd, it'll be a long process. Check out ifixit.com for a how-to.

KenAllen07

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
First off that must suck man. Hopefully all your data was previously backed up. And another, why would you walk around with a powerful magnet in your pocket :p

Did you try to do a hardware test using your HW test cd? Maybe the head got f'd up and scratched the platter. But doesn't a failing hdd just give the blinking "?" at start up? Anyone know if that magnet could have screwed up anything else? Good luck replacing the hdd, it'll be a long process. Check out ifixit.com for a how-to.

I have no idea why I was stupid enough to put the magnet in my pocket and then put my laptop on my lap.

I already had the laptop all apart, so it'll not be a problem anymore taking it back apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.