Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianmonty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I am running low on Hard Drive space so I purchased an external hard drive, thinking I would move my large iPhoto library to that freeing up space.

I moved my iPhoto library but it was not as big as I thought and I still have a significant amount of used space on my Hard Drive.

My question is, how do I find out what folders, applications or other is taking up this space so I can consider moving that to my external drive as well?

I have clicked around for a while in the finder, but I can't seem to find a concise list of the folder sizes.

P.S. I found the recommendation of emptying the trash and internet cache to free up HD space, which I have done, but I wanted to get the external hard drive as a more permanent solution.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
ctrl click --> show info?

You can also mark the file and press cmd + i.

An app called WhatSize easily measures your HD for you. Try google it.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2008
If you go into Finder and click on your shortname (the one with the house), you can find what size your movies, music, etc. are. For me, music and movies take up the most space.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That and getting rid of the language and printer packages will free up a good chunk of space.

G0G0F0T0

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
iPhoto has its own trash can!

Something that helped me out a lot was finding that iPhoto has its OWN TRASH CAN. Deleting that cleared A LOT of space for me.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
you can always use disk utilit or daisy disk. something for me was that when I was running Lion time machine was backing itself up on my internal hard drive if I didn't have my external hard drive plugged in when it decided to back up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.