Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Well for getting data off of a bad harddrive for my work my boss let me have a Logitech MX 5000 Keyboard Combo for free (Retail 140.00) I was looking for a replacement wireless keyboard / mouse for my old Microsoft Desktop eliete which i kept having connection problems with. Anyways I now have the keyboard and mouse and I am typing on it so it does work along with like volume control, How ever the back and foward buttons on the mouse dont, The system doesn't detect them as bluetooth keyboards or mice even though the first time I pluged it in it came up with the bluetooth keyboard wizard. I'd like to beable to use the bluetooth reciver for my phone also. Anyways anyone have any luck getting the extra keyboard buttons such as the play and pause buttons to work along with the back and foward buttons on the mouse? I tried using USB OverDrive and some other programs to program the mice buttons but it says no compatible mouse found. Anyone know if logitech plans on offering Mac OS X drivers for this keyboard?

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
I love Logitech Mice and Keyboards (Have a MX1000 mouse and Logitech Elite Keyboard) but their drivers SUCK and they rarely have driver suppport for OSX.
I mean, most of the time, they don't even offer OSX Drivers... At all!

For such a big and reputable company, it's a shame.

I've written to their customer feedback e-mail address many times without even getting any answer.

I hope they realise that they are loosing many sales to Mac users that would like to at least get basic driver support for their often 100$+ piece of hardware.

I, for one would love a MX5000 combo but I always hold off because I would be paying 140$ for, basically, a "normal" keyboard (given that without drivers most additional functions/keys/display would not work) and that goes against my principles.

Since I bought my Intel iMac (coming from a G4 Mini) I also noticed that I couldn't install the drivers for my MX1000 (due to them not being Universal Binary yet and I guess they won't be for at least 10years) so I'm basically stuck with "only" 3 buttons. Hehe. I used to have my MX1000 programmed to do the following:

- Left and Right buttons were used as primary and secondary click
- Wheel click was used as CMD+Click (to open links in new tab in safari)
- Button below wheel was for Exposé All Windows
- Button above wheel was for Exposé Desktop
- Back thumb button was used as CMD+Left Arrow (to go back in Safari)
- Forward thumb button was used as CMD+Q to quit applications
- Middle thumb button was used as CMD+W to close active tab in Safari and close active app window

I could do all my surfing without even having to touch the keyboard (unless searching on Google)

Anyway, I love my Apple Keyboard but would love it if Logitech could release the MX1000 mouse in Bluetooth as a stand-alone with Universal Drivers.
Then I would buy an Apple Bluetooth KB and MX1000 BT mouse and be in input devices heaven.

Anyway, just my 0.02$

Final words : just suck it down and try writing Logitech. Sorry.

EDIT: spelling and MX1000 drivers rant ;)

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Well I can't complain much even if right now it is just a basic keyboard without the drivers got it for free brand new from my work so it's not like i wasted any money on it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I *believe* that the bluetooth in the receiver is locked into Logitech devices. I have the MX900 mouse, but I have to have a separate bluetooth adapter to use with my phone. So I paired both the phone and the mouse with the separate adapter and just use the base to charge.

Logitech is very picky about what they choose to support with regards to Apple products. I don't know that I can blame them too much, as we are just a small percentage of the market, but it's still a shame. :)

With regards to the mouse, you may be able to assign the extra buttons to Exposé functions via the system preferences for Exposé, as that is what I have done with my MX900. I HIGHLY doubt Logitech will add support for any of their current products (that aren't already supported). If it's not there when the product is released, I doubt it gets added later.

New Mac User

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
Cali Bay Area

I use the MX5000 duo on my Windows machines, it is a great piece of hardware. It doesn't work very well on the Mac, however.

The Bluetooth receiver that comes with it is open to all USB devices. I use it with my PDA all the time for internet tethering. But, for whatever reason, the Mac doesn't even pick it up as a Bluetooth adapter, at least mine doesn't. And if I try to use the keyboard with a standard USB Bluetooth adapter, it doesn't work at all. It will pair with the computer okay, but then the Mac says it won't work because it can't identify it, and only the volume controls work at that point.

Logitech makes an awesome cordless desktop "Cordless MX Duo" that is designed for both platforms. It has the Windows and Apple keys labeled for no confusion. I bought this for my IBMs originally, but then put it on the Mac when I got my MX5000 Duo.

dpope

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
I'm interested in a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo. I don't really care too much about keyboard features but it would be nice to at least have a comfortable, nice looking mouse. I have an MBP that I would like to doc with minimal fuss while I'm at home while also being able to take the mouse around with me and use it without having to plug in a stupid dongle.

Can anyone comment on the current status of the bluetooth MX 1000 that comes with the MX 5000?

I've found the MX 5000 available for around 100 euros. Comparing that MS Wireless laser 8000 bluetooth mouse which comes in at 70-80 euro I see that, if the MX 1000 operates well then I'm basically just paying a bit extra for a keyboard as well. Am I paying too much for something that doesn't work well with OS X? Is there a good cheaper alternative? I don't think I like the mighty mouse and the apple bluetooth keyboard, besides being expensive, is also too small. If I'm going to use a keyboard with a laptop I want something full sized.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Modjo

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
I have an MX1000 on my 15" MBP 2,33Ghz. It works now, but i couldn't use the logitech drivers. I use Streermouse and that does one hell of a job! Every button you can imagine is programmable, and it doesn't install APE like Logitech Control Center does (which by the way doesn't get uninstalled if you uninstall LCC). It's not free, but it's not expensive either @ 20$.

sscotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Minnesota
MX-5000 Keyboard

I have the Blue Tooth keyboard and mouse. I've been using the mouse for awhile using the bluetooth dongle and SteerMouse software to tweak it. I've also be using the keyboard with pretty good success, but I can't really program the keyboard and there is no num lock key. Num lock appears to always be off.

Does the software update fix that problem? Is there a way to program the keyboard without logitech drivers?

agrigg

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Usable Fix

I tried carlosabel's suggestion to download the apple keyboard update and the link no longer worked, but I was able to find the Apple Keyboard Update 1.2 and when I installed it the mx5000 keyboard started working. I was able to set it up through the built-in bluetooth setup and the volume and media controls work. I haven't played around with it enough to know what all works, but it is definitely usable and some advanced features are working.

Hope this helps.

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
sorry to bring this late topic back up
but are you able to change any of the keys on the mx5000 to make a COMMAND key?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
The MX5000 is a pretty slick keyboard. I'm playing around with one at this very moment. I have big hands and the mouse and keyboard setup seems built for someone with small hands. The mouse isn't that comfortable to grasp.

no_name

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
We had a mx5000 combo lying around at work so i grabbed the mouse and bluetooth adapter for my MacPro, but I can't use the back/forward buttons for browsing. Logitech Control Centre says it can't find my mouse to configure it, but OSX recognizes the buttons and I can use them for Expose/Spaces. Anyone had any further luck with this thing? 3rd party drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.