Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Were any of you posting at the time when the first iPhone was released last January? If so, were any of the big rumors going around prior to the release true? I'm looking back at the articles from december 2006 just trying to maybe get an idea of the scale of how many of the rumors are actually true.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Isn't this worthy of using the useful search function of the forum before posting?
;)

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Isn't this worthy of using the useful search function of the forum before posting?
;)

Well... there was no iPhone forum prior to January '07...because it didn't exist yet. Therefore, searching wouldn't do much good.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Well... there was no iPhone forum prior to January '07...because it didn't exist yet. Therefore, searching wouldn't do much good.

Google: iPhone announcement. Top hit = http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/todays-apple-announcements-at-macworld-2007/
So you know it was at Macworld, and announced Jan 9th 2007.

Newyorksole already knew this. Ok, so we need to find out rumours about apple just prior to January 9th 2007, preferably on macrumors.com. Newyorksole wants to get an idea of the scale of how many of the rumors are actually true.

That's a lot of reading. Anyhow. It makes sense there would be a big main thread on MWSF made prior to the event (as there is a WWDC thread already up for June 08). As you pointed out, there wasn't an iPhone section. But macrumors puts old stuff in the archive:

Mac Forums > Archive
& there's a section called Event Archives. That sounds promising...
So then simply filter by views or replies after using a keyword if you want. There isn't any need for it, as either filtering with views or replies gets you the Macworld San Francisco 2007 Rumor Roundup as the 2nd or 3rd hit.
(The bonus? 1st post:
With Macworld San Francisco (MWSF) quickly approaching, MacRumors provides this Rumor Roundup as a summary of major rumors circulating around the Mac Web before the big event. (Previous MacRumors MWSF roundups: 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, and 2002.
[Gives links])

*That* is why searching is good.

Don't forget you could just as easily do a inurl:macrumors.com google search, with their search functions. Searching by date on google isn't easy, but you've got sort by funcitons of the forums on your side. You could have just googled for mwsf 2007 rumor review or similar...

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Like with any Apple release, there are always a metric ton's worth of rumors floating around. This time's no different. 6 months ago, there were just as many 3G iPhone rumors as there are now. Before the first gen came out, every blog, dick, and harry was posting feature sets, pics, and sweared that they knew the truth before anyone else.

You gotta take it all with a grain of salt. This time around we have a track record, at least, of who correctly predicted the "future."

And, no doubt, within days of the release of the 2nd gen iPhone, rumors of the next will be floating around the blogosphere.

kdarling

macrumors P6
For months before the announcement of the first version, everyone knew that a phone of some kind was coming. It was very common for kids to post pictures of what they thought it would look like. Most were based on iPods with keypads.

I recall that it was even noticed that Infineon got a contract for radio chips, so that part was known to some extent.

The whole touch-only thing was the main surprise.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
For months before the announcement of the first version, everyone knew that a phone of some kind was coming. It was very common for kids to post pictures of what they thought it would look like. Most were based on iPods with keypads.

I recall that it was even noticed that Infineon got a contract for radio chips, so that part was known to some extent.

The whole touch-only thing was the main surprise.

How long do you think it'd take to marry iPhone with haptics, if Apple had already planned the software for it?

I think most people don't expect Apple to coast this keynote, and for there to be something there. like the previous keynote - they're looking for more than the level of expectation just prior to the keynote (a high level of expectation I know!)

We may as well dissect the post: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3198590/

Apple phone

UBS in Feb 2006 said "not to rule out an Apple-branded cell phone later this year". PiperJaffray made a bolder statement in March 2006 with a 75% chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months. Similar claims came from a J.P. Morgan analyst that "chatter about the [Apple Phone] is all over the food chain".

What finally triggered worldwide attention can be traced back to this Commercial Times report that Taiwan's Hon Hai has received a 12 million unit contract for the rumored Apple phone to be released in the first half of 2007. While regular MacRumors readers might realize that these Taiwanese supply reports have been wrong in the past, the proposed time-frame correlated with an earlier ThinkSecret report also pointing to "early 2007" for the release. As well, a reliable MacRumors source provided a description (and artist rendition) of what one of the existing prototype phones looked like at that time.

Kevin Rose gave first detailed specs. As in 2008, there was conflicting claims of specs
Gb size, Price, whether slider or not:

- 2GB ($249), 4GB ($449), Slide out keyboard, "cool" OS, All Phone providers (Kevin Rose)
- 4GB ($599), 8GB ($649), Metal, Cingular Wireless, Full screen LCD, Virtual Click Wheel (Morgan Stanley analyst)
- GSM/EDGE device only (ThinkSecret)

Like 2008, launch date was not known for definite

Mac Pro
iTV (Which became Apple TV, then Apple TV Take 2)
Leopard (demo, but not release)
New Displays
iLife '07
Video iPod, and Others?

I'd say all bar Mac Pro are potentials for having more than just speed bumps this June keynote...

kdarling

macrumors P6
How long do you think it'd take to marry iPhone with haptics, if Apple had already planned the software for it?

Depends. I suspect most companies will be making deals with Immersion Corporation, who are way ahead of everyone on haptics.

What finally triggered worldwide attention can be traced back to this Commercial Times report that Taiwan's Hon Hai has received a 12 million unit contract for the rumored Apple phone to be released in the first half of 2007.

So much for that prediction ;)

I think it's amazing how much Apple left out of the first iPhone model. OTOH, this means there's lots they can include in the next one.

For tiny example, I can't believe we can't use the iPhone as an Apple TV remote.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I read most and no one predicted it would be an "iPhone killer".:eek:

??? That the iPhone was an iPhone killer?

IMO, the biggest "rumor" to be on the watch for is when the FCC gives Apple approval to sell the new device. CLearly by changing it to a 3G radio, it will need FCC approval. I think it was about May 16 2007 when they gave the Apple the green light last year. So that's about 5 months after they announced the iPhone, and a little more than a month before it hit the shelves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.