Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I'm bashing my head aganist the keyboard to get this working..

I switched from VMWare to Parallels just for this feature..

All I want is the following:

When having Outlook 2007 open in my Virtual machine in Parallels, and I click a LINK in a email, it opens in Safari on my Host machine.

How do I set this up?

Thanks.

lieb39

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Try this...

In your Windows VM, Launch IE.
Under the Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Programs Tab
Email Settings: Outlook
Default Web Browser: make IE your default
Click Apply

I don't know if this will correct the problem but it won't hurt.

I don't do email in my VM, but on the Mac Side using Entourage (part of Office 2008).

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
No luck. Just to clarify, I want to have all webpages open on my mac - in safari.

E.g. Clicking on a webpage link in an email (on my guest OS) will open it on my mac.

Thanks,

lieb39

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
No luck. Just to clarify, I want to have all webpages open on my mac - in safari.

E.g. Clicking on a webpage link in an email (on my guest OS) will open it on my mac.

Thanks,

lieb39

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wanted the opposite (to have all URLs in VM to open in a browser in VM).

I'm not sure what you want is possible since you are reading your email in a "Virtual Machine".

Have your tried doing the following?:
Set Safari to be your default browser (MacOS)?
Tried running Parallels in "Coherence Mode"?
You can also install the Windows version of Safari in your VM.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wanted the opposite (to have all URLs in VM to open in a browser in VM).

I'm not sure what you want is possible since you are reading your email in a "Virtual Machine".

Have your tried doing the following?:
Set Safari to be your default browser (MacOS)?
Tried running Parallels in "Coherence Mode"?
You can also install the Windows version of Safari in your VM.
This IS doable, at least in Parallels 3.0. What you have to do is tell Windows to use Safari (Mac) as its default browser. This program can be found in the Windows Start Menu, in the Parallels exported applications section.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
How is it dooable though? I've read countless reviews saying they've got it work.. but for the life of me, I can't.

Cheers
First of all, do you have export Mac applications to Windows enabled? This is required, for it to work.

Then, just find the default browser setting in Windows (I have no idea where this is stored), and change it to Safari (Mac).

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
First of all, do you have export Mac applications to Windows enabled? This is required, for it to work.

Then, just find the default browser setting in Windows (I have no idea where this is stored), and change it to Safari (Mac).

Yeah its the last part I'm struggling with.. Everyone I find a way it doesn't work.

This is hard for something that shoulkd work out of the box.. Or so it seems.

Cheers

doncellis

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Same Issue

Same problem. Tried to reassign the default browser to be the safari (mac) app shared application, but it appears that the VM Shared Apps are not registered on the windows side as applications. Oddly, I could assign them to specific file types (.html, etc.), but not to protocols (http). Anyone know how to do that?

furtive

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Banff, AB
How to open URLs on the Mac from Windows in Parallels

Go into your Virtual Machine Configuration, on the left menu select "Internet Applications" and the right toggle "Web Pages" to say "Open in Mac OS X".

hom

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
Thanks!

Found this page via google search, and the post just above is exactly what I was looking for. Worked great, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.