Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfox00

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Subject says it all. I searched the forum, and I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere. Will the new 3g iphone work with tmobiles new 3g data service? I know that Tmobile 3g data roll out is only in NYC right now, but it will expand. Thanks ifanatics.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Well, the 3G iPhone hasn't even been announced yet, but it is very unlikely. TMobile's 3G network in the US uses its own set of radio frequencies, so to support it the iPhone would have to have a radio in it specifically for that. And considering AT&T is the only service provider for iPhone in the US...

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
yes.
it will.
the iphone (the new version!) will be released worldwide with many many different 3g networks and frequencies. it may need to be hacked (who knows) but im pputting it on the table that yes it will work.

i am in Australia and we have providers running two different 3g frequencies (telstra 850mhz and the rest running whatever they run)
ATT is running 850mhz too i believe. but Optus has just claimed the reseller privileges, so it WONT be 850mhz for Australia

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
You can't "hack" it to support frequencies that the radio in the phone doesn't support. The iPhone would have to have a 700Mhz radio in it, and as AT&T is the only iPhone provider in the US, there's no way Apple will waste a hell of a lot of money putting a radio in it that they don't plan on using.

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Dreampod, you entirely missed my point. possibly because it was poorly written, but i was saying that because the new release will have to support the ATT frequency (850mhz) and the optus australia frequency (2100mhz) AS A MINIMUM!!

so then we KNOW it WILL support 850mhz and 2100mhz.
the hacking i was referring to was activating the radio for use with those operators. given that the radios PHYSICALLY will have to be there...

who knows what other radios will PHYSICALLY be in there...

Neobond

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Minneapolis
Since this new 3g phone is a 'world' phone, I can't imagine that apple wouldn't do something like they did with the current GSM bands (850,900,1800,1900) having it include all bands used currently (I don't believe 450 is still used, but I could be wrong). So to 'future proof' the 3G iPhone wouldn't they include all 3G bands? 2100, 1700, etc.?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Since they're going internation with it most likelly they'll include all bands on the chip.
But again Tmobile dont have any 3G coverage at the moment thruout the states. That can take years to come to a celltower near you :)

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
T-Mobile USA is using a different frequency than AT&T, and from what I've read, it is also different than most overseas carriers as well. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but a quad-band HSDPA phone won't work on T-Mobile 3G but it would on AT&T, because AT&T is using one of the traditional HSDPA bands while T-Mobile bought a different one because that was what was available at auction.

Assuming all that is true, no amount of hacking is going to get it onto T-Mobile USA, because Apple will not be covering every single radio frequency. Most likely the iPhone will have a radio that covers quad band HSDPA, which is what would work worldwide (except T-Mobile USA since they bought off-band frequencies).

If T-Mobile IS using a traditional band, then yes it will work. I'd research long and hard on what T-Mobile is using, because I thought it was a different band than everyone else.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Since this new 3g phone is a 'world' phone, I can't imagine that apple wouldn't do something like they did with the current GSM bands (850,900,1800,1900) having it include all bands used currently (I don't believe 450 is still used, but I could be wrong). So to 'future proof' the 3G iPhone wouldn't they include all 3G bands? 2100, 1700, etc.?

Well, the strongest counter-argument to that would be the fact that all the other "world phones" that are out there now are said to not be compatible with T-mobile USA's 3G network either. No one would be making a hoopla about T-Mo's 3G frequency if it were compatible with world phones.

So it would seem that, although you can't imagine doing such a thing, Nokia, Motorola, and Sony Ericsson all could.... ;)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
T-Mobile USA is using a different frequency than AT&T, and from what I've read, it is also different than most overseas carriers as well. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but a quad-band HSDPA phone won't work on T-Mobile 3G but it would on AT&T, because AT&T is using one of the traditional HSDPA bands while T-Mobile bought a different one because that was what was available at auction.

Assuming all that is true, no amount of hacking is going to get it onto T-Mobile USA, because Apple will not be covering every single radio frequency. Most likely the iPhone will have a radio that covers quad band HSDPA, which is what would work worldwide (except T-Mobile USA since they bought off-band frequencies).

If T-Mobile IS using a traditional band, then yes it will work. I'd research long and hard on what T-Mobile is using, because I thought it was a different band than everyone else.

T-mobile = 1700/2100
AT&T = 1900/850

There is no overlap. If you're on T-mo just get a current gen iPhone and call it a day.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There are some overlap, but mostly no. If you're on T-mo just get a current gen iPhone and call it a day.

Yeah... whether I like it or not, sticking with T-Mobile when I want to go to 3G is going to be reaaaaly tough for me, because unlocked phones won't be intercompatible. I guess I'll just have to live with my excellent pricing for now while I'm content with EDGE.

Speaking of which, I was getting EDGE speeds of 250kbps this morning... twas lovely, at least for EDGE. :eek:

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Just to throw it out there ...

The "Holy Grail" of cell phone radios is to produce an "all software" (or firmware, really I believe) based cellphone radio. The idea is that said radio would be instantly configurable to any band just by flashing the chip or sending the right commands.

It's a bit "out there" but Apple has confirmed a couple of times that they are working on this, as are many others in the industry. I don't personally expect it, but it's totally possible that Apple's research department has solved this rather knarly problem. They certainly have both the top talent and the impetus to do it, so if anyone can, Apple can.

If they have, they will have an almost magical device that can be configured to any band and never be obsoleted. This would be quite an accomplishment for sure, but it *is* possible (maybe). :)

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, just as quad-band GSM radios exist, tri-band UTMS radios exist. Sony Ericsson offers phones with tri-band UTMS. I don't see how it's not possible that the iPhone will have a tri-band chip.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
the amount of misinformation in this thread is blowing my mind. please educate yourself before you spout nonsense.

yes.
it will.
the iphone (the new version!) will be released worldwide with many many different 3g networks and frequencies. it may need to be hacked (who knows) but im pputting it on the table that yes it will work.

i am in Australia and we have providers running two different 3g frequencies (telstra 850mhz and the rest running whatever they run)
ATT is running 850mhz too i believe. but Optus has just claimed the reseller privileges, so it WONT be 850mhz for Australia

you both are making a HUGE assumption that apple will release 1 global iphone model with quadband 3G (850/1700/1900/2100). i dont think AT&T would be too happy with apple for selling the 3G iphone with 1700mhz that makes it even easier to jailbreak and go to t-mobile. what is most likely is a US spec iphone with US 3G (850/1900) and then a EURO spec iphone with EURO 3G (2100) to protect AT&T's exclusivity.

the only way i could see apple putting 1700mhz on the iphone is for european t-mobile users to use when they visit the US. this would be on a EURO spec iphone not sold in the US.

T-mobile = 1700/2100
AT&T = 1900/2100

There are some overlap, but mostly no. If you're on T-mo just get a current gen iPhone and call it a day.

AT&T does NOT use 2100mhz, they use 850mhz/1900mhz.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
you both are making a HUGE assumption that apple will release 1 global iphone model with quadband 3G (850/1700/1900/2100). i dont think AT&T would be too happy with apple for selling the 3G iphone with 1700mhz that makes it even easier to jailbreak and go to t-mobile. what is most likely is a US spec iphone with US 3G (850/1900) and then a EURO spec iphone with EURO 3G (2100) to protect AT&T's exclusivity.

the only way i could see apple putting 1700mhz on the iphone is for european t-mobile users to use when they visit the US. this would be on a EURO spec iphone not sold in the US.

AT&T currently sells the SE Z750, which has tri-band 3G (850/1700/2100).

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
AT&T currently sells the SE Z750, which has tri-band 3G (850/1700/2100).

way to entirely miss the point. it is NOT a matter of "can they do it?" it is a matter of "why in the world would they?". the issue here is that AT&T has an exclusive deal with apple. t-mobile is the ONLY carrier in the world that currently uses 1700mhz. for AT&T to sell an iphone in the US with 1700mhz would be retarded because it would NOT be useable on their own network.

who cares if the SE Z750 has 1700mhz, its not a high profile phone that AT&T has a 5 year exclusive deal with.

Neobond

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Minneapolis
Thanks for all the helpful information

...that AT&T has a 5 year exclusive deal with.

Has this ever been proven? are there documents to support this, or is this just assumed? I have always heard this, but never heard the source for this info.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks for all the helpful information

Has this ever been proven? are there documents to support this, or is this just assumed? I have always heard this, but never heard the source for this info.

i think its proven by the fact that t-mobile USA will not be getting the iphone officially any time soon.

and what does this mean:

from Wikipedia, 2100 (downlink) / 1700 (uplink) for America (e.g. T-Mobile USA). Is this the same 2100mhz band as AT&T using?

again, AT&T does not use 2100mhz, they use 850mhz/1900mhz. also, the 2100mhz that t-mobile is using in the US is NOT the same as the 2100mhz that is used in europe.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
way to entirely miss the point. it is NOT a matter of "can they do it?" it is a matter of "why in the world would they?". the issue here is that AT&T has an exclusive deal with apple. t-mobile is the ONLY carrier in the world that currently uses 1700mhz. for AT&T to sell an iphone in the US with 1700mhz would be retarded because it would NOT be useable on their own network.

who cares if the SE Z750 has 1700mhz, its not a high profile phone that AT&T has a 5 year exclusive deal with.

Doesn't matter. Fact of the matter is, I don't think AT&T is going to CARE. AT&T and T-mobile use different GSM bands in the US, and you didn't see them/Cingular balking at the RAZR being quad-band.

Also, T-mobile not getting the iPhone any time soon is SPECULATION, not FACT. Unless you're Steve Jobs, it's speculation. I acknowledge AT&T having an exclusivity agreement, but things can change.

In addition, neobond was asking what the quote from Wikipedia was saying and inquiring if AT&T uses it. Way to miss (the first part of) the point.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Doesn't matter. Fact of the matter is, I don't think AT&T is going to CARE. AT&T and T-mobile use different GSM bands in the US, and you didn't see them/Cingular balking at the RAZR being quad-band.

Also, T-mobile not getting the iPhone any time soon is SPECULATION, not FACT. Unless you're Steve Jobs, it's speculation. I acknowledge AT&T having an exclusivity agreement, but things can change.

In addition, neobond was asking what the quote from Wikipedia was saying and inquiring if AT&T uses it. Way to miss (the first part of) the point.

you still dont get it. AT&T wants to protect their commitment with apple to be the ONLY carrier in the US that offers the iphone. selling an iphone in the US with 1700mhz is just begging people to use the iphone on t-mobile. AT&T does not have a commitment with motorola to be the exclusive distributor of razrs in the US. your comparison doesnt make any sense.

to put it nicely, you are clueless.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Actually Cingular had exclusivity of the RAZR for the first few months of its release. IF AT&T wanted to protect their exclusivity of the iPhone, they would have done more in regards to jailbreaking.

Furthemore, T-mobile's 3G network in the US is for voice only, in case you haven't been keeping up with the news.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Actually Cingular had exclusivity of the RAZR for the first few months of its release. IF AT&T wanted to protect their exclusivity of the iPhone, they would have done more in regards to jailbreaking.

Furthemore, T-mobile's 3G network in the US is for voice only, in case you haven't been keeping up with the news.

yes, carriers do have phones that are carrier exclusive for a limited amount of time (like the razr). the exclusive period though is usually a few months or a year. the iphone however is exclusive to AT&T until 2012, so i dont understand how you can think t-mobile will be getting it.

actually, t-mobile 3G being voice only was a rumor. it does have data in NYC.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/05/05/t-mobile-clears-everything-up-3g-rollout-with-data-is-on/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.