Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Nick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
A friend of mine recieved her Macbook this morning, and is alrady having some isues with it. She's unable to get a connection with Adium or MSN over her wireless network. In Adium she's tried both an MSN and GoogleTalk account, both of which try and connect for a bit, then give a error that there is no connection. Safari and Skype work flawlessly over the same wireless connection. And when plugged straight in with the ethernet, Adium can connect.

The internet is running through a Zoom ADSL wired moden, to a iMac G4 (running 10.4, I believe) with an Airport wireless card. And the problem isnt specific to her Macbook. Her father's Macbook is also unable to connect to MSN over the wireless network.

Since it works wired, it must be something with the wireless. Any ideas on what specifically might be causing the issue? Any ideas on solutions? Thanks in advance.

danoool

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
She's unable to get a connection with Adium or MSN over her wireless network. In Adium she's tried both an MSN and GoogleTalk account, both of which try and connect for a bit, then give a error that there is no connection. Safari and Skype work flawlessly over the same wireless connection. And when plugged straight in with the ethernet, Adium can connect.

I am having exactly the same problem.

The internet is running through a Zoom ADSL wired moden, to a iMac G4 (running 10.4, I believe) with an Airport wireless card. And the problem isnt specific to her Macbook. Her father's Macbook is also unable to connect to MSN over the wireless network.

AND I have the same setup, except I have the next gen iMac running Tiger, and a MacBook Pro running Leopard.

It's a shame nobody else has any ideas - because this really has me confused.
Have you solved the problem yet?

danoool

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
OK I've found something that has worked to make adium connect using my setup - which is similar to yours:

In Adium

Adium > Preferences ... > Accounts > Edit ...

Under "Options" check the "Connect via HTTP" box.

After one failed attempt to connect, Adium re-attempted to connect, and it was successful. Winner!

Hope this works for you.

nathliea

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
OK I've found something that has worked to make adium connect using my setup - which is similar to yours:

In Adium

Adium > Preferences ... > Accounts > Edit ...

Under "Options" check the "Connect via HTTP" box.

After one failed attempt to connect, Adium re-attempted to connect, and it was successful. Winner!

Hope this works for you.

Thank you for this information, this allowed MSN to connect. However, neither Yahoo! nor AOL seem to have this option under that tab, or any others. Any idea how to get those to connect?

danoool

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
this allowed MSN to connect. However, neither Yahoo! nor AOL seem to have this option under that tab, or any others. Any idea how to get those to connect?

Oh. I only use Adium to connect to the MSN network, so that's as far as my experience goes - sorry. I have no idea how to connect to the other networks.

Good luck!

pixx

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
(I see this thread is kinda old, but I'm posting for the benefit of any future Googlers...)

I had this problem when connecting to my school's wireless network. I use AIM, and I fixed this problem just by changing the port Adium uses to connect to AOL/AIM.

Preferences >> Accounts >> [Edit] >> Options

Standard: login.oscar.aol.com 5190

Changed: login.oscar.aol.com 80 (HTTP)

Voila! Connected.

It's basically the same tek used to get MSN to connect...just without the checkbox. ;)

I haven't tested it, but you can probably just pick any open port you like.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Thank you

I got both AIM & MSN to work again. I have no idea why they stopped working in the first place. I haven't changed anything on my router or my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.