Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impact_blue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Recently my Powerbook has been acting up. It first started off freezing at the log in screen so I attempted to reset the PRAM. Once I did that I started getting the screen of death after every restart! Next I proceeded to boot in safemode. Once I waited the 5-10 mins or so for my mac to boot in safemode it would just restart! Honestly I dont know what to do.

I also tried the restore disk to get to hardware utils, but it would just tell me that it wouldn't work on my powerbook and gave me an option to shut down or reset. Mind you I'm using my girlfriend's restore disk since mine is back at my parents house in San Diego I'm in the OC/we have the same model PB. Do you need to use your own restore disk?

Aside from the restore disk what are my other options of fixing this without having to wipe my hd clean? Is my HD dead :(? Thanks guys. BTW I'm running Panther.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
you have the same model power book and its not working? thats really odd, there not much else you can do really, besides maybe seeing if its bad ram, maybe try swapping your ram out for hers...thats about all i got for you unless you can get into disk utility, you could always boot in target disk mode (hold T on startup then connect a firewire cable to your GFs PB) itll show up on her computer as an external drive then use hers to run disk utility on it for you / backup your data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.