Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Didnt want to share this with coworkers, but feel the need to get it off my chest.

Was at an intersection this morning, waiting to turn left. The light turned green, there was no oncoming traffic, and I didnt see any pedestrians in the crosswalk so proceeded to turn left. Out of nowhere a young woman suddenly appeared and I literally just missed hitting her by inches. I think she was wearing headphones, and was completely oblivious to this VERY close call....

I was so shaken up I had to pull over and chill for several minutes....

Im still pretty shaken up. A fraction of a second sooner, and I would have hit her.....

Reactions: Bing1972

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you didnt though. Try and forget it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
close calls happen. its happened to me before, its something hard to forget though and you just have to move past it because it in fact wasn't an accident.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I think everyone has moments like these once and a while. Just be glad nothing happened and nobody got hurt though. Instances like this get you to pay more attention, even though sometimes it always isn't your wrong doing.

When I was 16, I ran a stop sign on a residental street while speeding, doing about 65, and missed a car by about 5 feet. If it was 10 seconds later, I would've broadsided them. I'll never forget that.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I've had several incidents where I start to turn or pull out of an intersection, thinking that a car is not coming when there really is one. I've never had a super close call, but every time it happens, it takes me a while to get over it. I always check like 2-3 times these days to be sure before I move.

One time I was crossing a street with my dad and someone did almost exactly what you did - he had a red light but was turning right. After checking for traffic he started to turn, with us in the crosswalk. He actually nudged up against my dad but then saw us and stopped. He was real sorry... it's just a good thing he wasn't one of those that accelerates really quickly or else we might've been toast.

daganw88

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
I am a driver, cyclist, runner and walker. Cars interacting with cyclists and pedestrians are a challenge at best. We as drivers need to become more aware and look for pedestrians/cyclists. We as pedestrians and cyclists need to be very aware of drivers/cars and not assume they see us, yet at the time do all we can to be seen.

The headphone thing is kinda moot to me. It makes no sense we as drivers can listen to the radio/CD/iPod in a car and/or even watch DVD's in a car yet expect walkers, runners, and cyclists to not use such devices. Walkers, runners, and cyclists using such devices need to also be aware of our surroundings and traffic.

Now with energy prices increasing and the NEED for people to be out, more active and healthy we will only see more of us out there walking, running, and cycling.

Thanks for expressing your concern and bringing up an important point.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Unless you don't get along with your coworkers I'd suggest talking with someone about the incident. Everyone has close calls and it will help to get it off your chest. No one's going to hold it against you -- after all, everyone's all right.

geekgirl

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
I bumped a bicyclist a couple of years ago. Rather, he bumped my bumper with his wheel.

I was waiting to turn right at a red light. Terrible corner, as the sidewalk is right next to the street, and a huge building (built prior to city code regarding set-back) mostly blocks the view of the sidewalk. I was being extremely careful, just nudging out. Looked right, then left, then right again, started pulling out slowly, and the cyclist came flying into the intersection. I stopped right away, but he scraped by the car. He wasn't going to even stop, but I got and asked if he was okay (heart beating like crazy). He was fine, bike was fine...

Thing is, he wasn't supposed to be riding on that sidewalk, as the bike path is on the other side of the street (because of the building), and he had a "Don't walk" sign. He was in a huge hurry, too, and took off like crazy after I made sure he was okay.

So, even when you are being extremely cautious, you can't control what other people do.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I wouldn't say "forget it," but rather, learn from it. Just take it as a lesson that lots of people - drivers and pedestrians both - don't pay attention, so the rest of us have to pay extra attention.

And don't worry about it too much. No harm done, so even though it was scary, it's over now.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
You should be fine sharing it w/ your co-workers, you didn't try to hit anyone on purpose. I had a close call like that a few nights ago. I was on a four lane road (two lanes going one way, two the other) where a city bus stopped in the right lane to drop some people off. As I was driving by the bus, this guy randomly decides to run from the parked bus (which is a blind corner for both him and me) and across to the opposite site of the street. Barely saw his figure that night (luckily I did tho). I had to slam on brakes to keep from hitting him. I was both pissed and scared that he was so oblivious to the accident he almost caused. (looking at him as I drove by, he didn't seem to know what just happened)

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I've had a couple of close calls.

Once I was making a left turn with an unprotected signal. Up the way, there was a postal truck that was stopped at a post box to collect mail, but that was it. I then checked for pedestrians and bicycles, and pulled into the intersection--and almost into the postal truck. In the time that I checked for bicycles & pedestrians, the driver had moved on from the post box and I didn't see it until almost too late.

Another time at night, I was at a stop sign with another car on the far side of the intersection, also stopped. With no traffic, I drove across the intersection, and almost into a pedestrian. The thing was, I couldn't see him because a) he was wearing dark clothes; and b) he crossed BEHIND the other car, where there were no lights by which I could have seen him. Nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw a guy right by my driver's side window.

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
This happened to me a few weeks ago only I was on the one crossing. I had a 'walk' sign and everything. The girl was on her cell phone and not paying attention. When she looked up and saw me, she looked horrified.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I bumped a bicyclist a couple of years ago. Rather, he bumped my bumper with his wheel.

Had this happen to me as well except I was turning at a green light. I was at an intersection about a block away from a bike path so seeing bikers isn't unusual. Slowed down to make the right turn and out of nowhere a biker skids his brakes and hits the right side of my car. Of course he started yelling at me and all that fun stuff. Had to report since he cracked my mirror and created several dents and scratches. Luckily a couple people that were walking by stayed and told the police what had happened.

Got out of it with nothing more than a day in the body shop for my car.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
you missed her...her fault anyway

Not exactly since pedestrians "always have the right of way". I actually do know someone that hit a person, but didn't get in any trouble because the person she hit was drunk and walked into the road.

I would forget and just remember that bad things can happen. After I hit a deer with my car every time I go driving at dawn, dusk, or night I am sure to be extra cautious and even drive a little slower, especially on the back roads with lots of woods.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
this is the #1 reason why I will not wear my in ear phones when walking on the street.

I have been hit twice by a car. one year apart to the day, on the same intersection by the same driver/car. the next year I moved, and went to different school, she turned out ot be my HS PE teacher. Now that my High school days are long over we get together for coffee and laugh at the odds of something like that happening.
I learned not to run at the crossing lights, she learned not to turn if she cant see the crossing . OH BTW I dislocate my right hip both times. fun.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
One time this motorcyclist came up to my car and slammed his open palm on my hood while I was doing 80. So dangerous, and I have no clue why he did it. It was an open stretch of freeway (the 5 North if anyone in CA knows) and I was staying straight. God, I was so pissed off.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I've been hit on my Bicycle, not much fun, but it wasn't my fault- the driver didn't look. I have close calls every day, it seems. I forget most of them though.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.