Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsquash

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I intended to buy a superdrive for my powerbook G4 as the current drive is not working.I enquired at a shop which sold mac and does repairs on windows machines but they said it was very difficult, and to take it to Apple repair centre.

I have never opened a computer but have read online the pictorial manuals about installing a superdrive.
I am now not confident given the shoop response. ARE THEY BEING DRAMATIC OR COULD i EASLILY DAMAGE OTHER COMPONENTS AND REALLY STUFF UP?.
i AM NOT A HANDS ON PERSON BUT TO SAVE $600 IN MY CASE, i WAS GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
If it's a 12-inch, forget about it. Optical drive is the last part to come out of the computer, even after the logic board. 15 or 17-inch, not so bad. Just a top case removal and then a few screws for the drive itself.

Good luck

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I wouldn't risk it if you "aren't very hands on" as you say. You'll save more money in the long run by not having to replace the whole computer.

redsquash

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-17-Inch/SuperDrive/55/
Powerbook G4 17 inch .....Online Manual states
The optical drive ribbon cable is very fragile. Be sure to gently lift up the cable on the sides. Do not lift up on the cable from the end closest to the display.

Lift the optical drive at the right, front corner, and slide it out of the computer (be careful not to catch the PRAM battery cable)

* 1) With your fingernails, grasp the locking bar on either side slide it a small amount (about 1/16" or 2 mm) towards the battery.

* For this step, you only need to move the connector about 2 mm. Pulling too hard or too far will damage the connector.

Are these the areas you are referring to guys.
If my drive isnt working what is the worst I can do if I am slow and careful .
I am tending to not want to proceed from peoples comments

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I intended to buy a superdrive for my powerbook G4 as the current drive is not working.I enquired at a shop which sold mac and does repairs on windows machines but they said it was very difficult, and to take it to Apple repair centre.

I have never opened a computer but have read online the pictorial manuals about installing a superdrive.
I am now not confident given the shoop response. ARE THEY BEING DRAMATIC OR COULD i EASLILY DAMAGE OTHER COMPONENTS AND REALLY STUFF UP?.
i AM NOT A HANDS ON PERSON BUT TO SAVE $600 IN MY CASE, i WAS GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY

I don't know where you got the price of $600.

If you're not a techy or hardware inclined and have never done this before you are asking for trouble. The parts and cables inside are delicate and working on any Aluminum PB is a royal PIA.

Here is a link to have a third party do it for you and 1/3rd the price if you live in the USA. If you are outside of that, there must be others that can do it for you as well.

http://www.iresq.com/portables/detail.php?prodID=P010384

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The most difficult part about opening any aluminum model is separating the upper case from the rest of the machine without bending it. Once it's bent, it's almost impossible to get the thing back to its original shape.

Seriously, if you don't feel comfortable doing something like this yourself, you'll save a lot of time, money and frustration having a professional do it for you.

Hopefully, you don't have the 12" PBG4. That one is a complete nightmare. You have to take out just about everything, including the logic board just to get the optical drive out.

Another alternative is to simply buy a small external drive and just use that.

redsquash

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I don't know where you got the price of $600.

If you're not a techy or hardware inclined and have never done this before you are asking for trouble. The parts and cables inside are delicate and working on any Aluminum PB is a royal PIA.

Here is a link to have a third party do it for you and 1/3rd the price if you live in the USA. If you are outside of that, there must be others that can do it for you as well.

http://www.iresq.com/portables/detail.php?prodID=P010384

A royal PIA !
OK , that sounds pretty clear. The $600 savings is if I go to the apple repairer here in Japan. The land of cameras and computers.!!!!!
Non apple repairers dont want to touch my 17 inch powerbook , and now I think I know why ie a PIA
Getting a 110v-240v external DVD drive that recognises iDVD is that possible. I didnt want cables with my powerbook but can see I now have to chabge my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.