Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider reports on a new Apple patent application that was published today that reveals Apple has done research on a 3d remote similar to the Nintendo Wii remote.
The present invention can include multi-dimensional (e.g., 2-D or 3-D) remote control systems that can detect an absolute location to which a remote control is pointing in first and second orthogonal axes (e.g., the x- and y-axes). Remote control systems of the present invention also can detect the absolute position of the remote control in a third orthogonal axis (e.g., the z-axis).
The 3d remote could be used to manipulate objects and photos on the screen as well as zoom in and out based on user movements.

The patent application describes the use of fixed light sources as well as accelerometers resembling the implementation of the Nintendo Wii controller. The Nintendo Wii has been the surprise hit amongst the next generation gaming consoles primarily due to its innovative controller. Appleinsider speculates that Apple's version of the controller is intended for the Apple TV.

As with all patent applications, this may not represent technology planned for any particular project, though recent job descriptions have listed "remote controls" as one of the technologies Apple is developing. Apple currently ships the simple Apple Remote with their iMacs and Apple TV.

Article Link

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
This would be way better than Darwiinremote. I doubt if it'll ever make it out of Cupertino, though. It really doesn't seem practical enough for Apple.

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
I'm curious to know how many people use their remote with their computer. I have one....still in its' plastic sleeve.;)

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
A Wii-like remote would be ideal for the AppleTV. I can't stand entering text or navigating as is. Bring it on.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I'm curious to know how many people use their remote with their computer. I have one....still in its' plastic sleeve.;)

I've used mine a few times, but only when giving powerpoint or keynote presentations, and my MB is attached to a projector. For that it's great, but I haven't yet found any other use that really calls for it.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Nice to see some transformation finally for the Apple Remote.

That would be so cool to get a Wii-mote type remote control with every Mac that can do everything your mouse or trackpad can do.

It would probably even work better with a Mac because you wouldn't need a sensor bar, it could be built into the display.

Also, I wonder how this would affect the Mac as a gaming platform?

c0mmander venus

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Crystal Lake, IL
the apple remote is actually pretty handy, but i think they could put a little more innovation into it to really hold up to the apple standards. it'd be fun to see how hard you could swing it when flippin through cover flow.

but for people like me that do some serious videogaming, the remote is nice because i'll play music through my iMac while sitting in my rocker chair and be able to change a song without getting up or looking at the screen.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA

It definitely wouldn't attract hardcore gamers. Look at the wii. Sure, the remote is great and all, but the games are so basic and they mainly attract the casual gamer. So, I don't think this would really bring mac up in the gaming market. It will just be another benefit of what is already there.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
It definitely wouldn't attract hardcore gamers. Look at the wii. Sure, the remote is great and all, but the games are so basic and they mainly attract the casual gamer. So, I don't think this would really bring mac up in the gaming market. It will just be another benefit of what is already there.

Attracting the "casual" gaming market has worked out pretty well for Nintendo.

Apple's looking for people who want to play games, not live them.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
This could possibly work, but it's a long long way off before it could be a viable replacement for actual pointing. Take the Wii for example; if you are too near to the sensors, then it looses its accuracy, and you really need to be a bit away for it to be most accurate.

This 'could' be useful for things such as the Apple TV, and in the future will be useful for control I think in certain aspects. Most likely we won't see anything from it however, at least for a while.

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Announcing Microsoft Games for Apple Remote

Ok all you slow-pokes, Microsoft already spilled the beans last month! Can you say 'foreshadowing'? ;-)

http://www.officeformac.com/blog/Announcing-Microsoft-Games-for-Apple-Remote

Announcing Microsoft Games for Apple Remote

You’ve been asking what MacBU’s plans are for Apple’s hottest new device, well… Hot on the heels of their successful integration of the Apple Remote with PowerPoint 2008 for Mac, Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit today announced a new product line of Mac-based Microsoft games using the Apple Remote as a game controller.

“If you thought driving PowerPoint with your Apple Remote was cool, just wait until you use it to play pool or chess!” says Sheridan Jones, Director of Product Marketing for MacBU. “We envision a whole line of Microsoft Games for the Apple Remote: Everything from sports to strategy!”

Said Craig Eisler, General Manager of the MacBU and co-inventor of DirectX gaming technology, “We’ve embraced the Apple Remote as a platform and extended it to a new category.” Eisler explained the vision of using the Apple Remote’s built-in accelerometers for gaming: “Picture swinging the Apple Remote in your hand like a tennis racket or golf club, then imagine that controlling an actual tennis or golf game on your Mac. Microsoft Games for Apple Remote is a big break-though for the industry. It’s going to be the best gaming device in the world!”

According to the company, productivity and playtime were meant to co-exist. To help promote Microsoft Games for Apple Remote, Microsoft included a preview game called “Prance Prance Devolution” within the productivity application PowerPoint 2008 for Mac in their recent 08.04.01 update. Inspired by MacBU’s great admiration for the legendary musicologists DEVO, the game is unlocked by pairing your Apple Remote to your Macintosh, then starting slide show in PowerPoint 2008 with any presentation containing five or more slides, advancing to slide 2, and pressing the following button combination on your Apple Remote: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, play, pause.

Additional Microsoft Games for Apple Remote will be available starting April 1, 2008 from an online marketplace appropriately called Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit Online Marketplace 2008 Special Microsoft Games for Apple Remote Edition (MMBUOM2008SMG4ARE). Pricing for Microsoft Games for Apple Remote will start at $1 per day with a minimum two-year contract. Microsoft Games for Apple Remote are side loaded directly to the Apple Remote.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

callmemike20 said:

Though I agree with you about the remote not attracting hardcore gamers, I disagree about the games on the Wii being really basic. There are quite a few games that are very basic but there are some options that are very intense. Nintendo does take a different approach that Sony and Microsoft and the graphics aren't nearly as good but those items have nothing to do with the complexity of the game. I believe graphics is probably the main reason that it doesn't appeal to hardcore gamers. That's just my opinion on it though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That could be cool. Hold a button+raise/lower the remote to adjust volume. Slide left and right to rewind or fast forward the vid (with some "first direction" method so it doesn't alter timeline position and volume at the same time). Could be interesting this.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
I've used mine a few times, but only when giving powerpoint or keynote presentations, and my MB is attached to a projector. For that it's great, but I haven't yet found any other use that really calls for it.

Currently, there is no other use for it as far as I'm concerned either.

ladbroke

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2006
Baltimore
I bought my PB G4 two months before the MBPs came out, I was heartbroken to see that macintels came with a remote. I work out and listen to music on my Mac, and I wanted to change songs without stopping the workout. I went as far as to buy a bluetooth mouse to change songs, but it never really worked.

I watch movies on my 17 inch MBP now, and I love having a remote. I just wish this one didn't cost me $19.

curbyourdesign

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
internet

it would be great if the next version of ATV has safari, the wii like remote would be great for browsing.

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
remote usage

I use my remote every day. Of course, I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV which contains my entire DVD collection ripped on it (with an external HD to fit it all) so it's probably not the normal case. It does work very well for this purpose though. Now if only apple would update front row so that it has all apple TV functionality...

edit: obvious grammar mistake - I should proofread these things

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.