Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaguelyAloof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
So I put in a DVD-RW into my iBook, with the intent to burn something to it. Got an error, and the computer ejected the disk. I wanted to try again, but alas. I pushed the disk back in before I clicked 'okay' on the error window that popped up.

Then the cd drive starting making a lot of unfortunate noise. Now the disk won't show up anywhere. Not on my desktop, nor in any finder windows, or in the disk utility. It also will not eject when I push the eject button that's on my keyboard.

Restarting doesn't make it show up, either.

Long beyond wishing to burn anything, I just want the evil thing out of my computer. Is that possible? Please say it is and how to I do it?

I honestly always feared something like this would happen.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
You can eject the disk by restarting the computer while the left mouse button down.

ps
This will only work with a wired mouse not blue-tooth.

VaguelyAloof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
On the 'left mouse button' idea, how does that roll with a one button mouse on a laptop?

...or does it not roll at all, then?

VaguelyAloof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Well, it does a good job of screaming like it wants to be ejected.

Though none of those methods seem to be doing the job. :(

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Well, it does a good job of screaming like it wants to be ejected.

Though none of those methods seem to be doing the job. :(

One of these days Apple will include a hardware eject for its drives but until then... :(

Looks like you need to resort to the brute force method. Go to this site:
http://www.ifixit.com/ You should be able to find step by step instructions on how to remove the drive from your Mac. It might be possible not to have to completely remove the drive to get at the eject mechanism and remove the disk. It may also be that your drive has gone south. :eek: Which means it will have to be replaced.

In any event, do not try to forcefully remove the disk no matter how frustrating it seems. :p

Regards.

VaguelyAloof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Thanks all of you.

I tried the advice and everything with no luck. So I took it to an Apple Store today, and guess what, chscag? You got it, my drive is busted. :mad: No luck for me this time around.

A fellow there tried to get the dvd out in the mean time, until I can go and get it replaced with the money I don't have, but it didn't happen. So I get to listen to it scream every time I turn my laptop on. Ah well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.