Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Well, I just got a new cell phone and while I was under the assumption that it played mp3s it turns out it's actually only plays WMA audio files. Does anybody know if there's a way to convert some songs to .wma on my mac?

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Well, I just got a new cell phone and while I was under the assumption that it played mp3s it turns out it's actually only plays WMA audio files. Does anybody know if there's a way to convert some songs to .wma on my mac?

Yikes... what phone is that?

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Music Man has to be registered

You would have to register Music Man in order to convert MP3 to WMA. Unregistered version only converts to WAV.
I am having the same issue as the original poster with Nokia 6133. T-Mobile has blocked phone's ability to use Mp3's as Ringtones.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You would have to register Music Man in order to convert MP3 to WMA. Unregistered version only converts to WAV.
I am having the same issue as the original poster with Nokia 6133. T-Mobile has blocked phone's ability to use Mp3's as Ringtones.

Hack your Nokia. I hacked my 6256i. You need the cable, a PC, and some software. See if there are instructions on the web for it. If there are, I might be able to help you with the software aspect of it.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Would flashing firmware violate US T-Mobile warranty?

That would make me really concerned. Is it possible to restore it to original state?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
That would make me really concerned. Is it possible to restore it to original state?

I do not know. I am on Verizon, however, as I bought my phone I own it-- they cannot tell me what I can or cannot do with my phone. (They can make it hard to perform some actions, however, I ultimately own the phone) Thus, if I botch the phone, sucks for me. But if I follow the step-by-step guidlines on the internet on how to fix what has been broken...:rolleyes:

All hacks are done at your own risk. Look to see if you think you are up to it, and if not, keep looking for an MP3-->WMA converter. If Microsoft still publishes Windows Media Player for the Mac, it might be able to handle it.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Zamzar.com produces WMA's which are not playable on Nokia 6133

Thank you for Zamzar.com solution, it has great potential, too bad it didn't work for me.

Although I had found a solution on the web somewhere.
The following is true for Nokia 6133 only (as tested by me)
I burn the files (mp3, aac etc) to the CD as Audio Tracks, then import them to iTunes as WAV, 22050, 8bit, mono.
Nokia 6133 plays those wav's as ringtones without a glitch.

I was thinking about flashing my phone, I am leaning toward doing it. I only need a data cable, right now everything is done by Bluetooth.

If the added features are worth it, i will do it.
What features did you gain when you flashed yours?

ssmarkus

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
What next?

I am not a techie. What do I do AFTER I have burned the mp3 file to a CD. Specifically, how do I then import the mp3 file to iTunes as a "WAV, 22050, 8bit, mono?" And then, how do I download that WAV file from my Mac to my Nokia 6133?

Solowalker

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I have the same phone and the same problem. I'm still looking for a better solution, but what I have been doing is using Quicktime Pro. If you have Flip4Mac installed you can export a 30 second clip of anything to a wma that works perfectly for ringtones. I don't know if anyone else has done it but took a while for me to get it right because of the way it worked. It will only do 30 seconds max but you have to have more than double that selected because it does some kind of funky thing and only converts half of what you select, or something like that.

I'm trying the Zamzar but it's taking a while to get my files back to me.

Solowalker

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I am not a techie. What do I do AFTER I have burned the mp3 file to a CD. Specifically, how do I then import the mp3 file to iTunes as a "WAV, 22050, 8bit, mono?" And then, how do I download that WAV file from my Mac to my Nokia 6133?

You have to go into iTunes' preferences and change your Importing settings (under Advanced tab). Use the various pulldown menus to select those specifications. Then everything that you import/convert will be in that format.

For me, I don't even burn cds but just convert the file itself. If you get info on the song and go to options, you can input start and stop times (they aren't permanent so don't worry) and then convert the file. The new file will be just that section between the original's start and stop times and in whatever format in your settings. Then just make sure you go back and uncheck the start/stop boxes for the original file to make it play properly again.

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
I like the converter program for Mac called Max
http://sbooth.org/Max/#max

Imho, its got good support in general...Check it out if it supports wma too.

"Max can generate audio in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, AIFF, and WAVE."

jephyb

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'm also STILL looking for a program to convert MP3 to WMA. Doesn't matter why I need to do it, I really just need to do it. It's actually for a client if you must know... I'm not looking to convert MP3 to WMA or programs like "Max" than can convert to everything EXCEPT WMA. That Zamzar.com website keeps cutting off the last two seconds of my MP3 file also. If someone has a solution besides paying for Flip4Mac, PLEASE respond.

MP3 ---> WMA.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.