Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caseyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Hi. I'd like to create a simple Automator workflow that ejects an external hard drive when I run it. I found an "Eject Disk" action, but I'm not sure how to specify what to eject, or if that is even the right action. (Its probably just for CDs anyways?) There is also the eject iPod action, so something exactly like that except "Eject External Drive."

Thank you!

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
One way of doing this is by putting 'Get Specified Finder Items' above 'Eject Disk', and adding the drive that you want to be ejected in the box. Then when it runs, it will look for what you've specified and do the action. :)

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I just set up my system to do this (to see if it's quicker than clicking/ejecting), but I don't know if there's a specified place to save the Automator script to. Should it be saved as a finder script in the Library/Scripts folder, or do Automator scripts have a specific place to be saved?

Thanks for helping an automator newbie!

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
You can save it anywhere you want to. :) Whatever is most accessible for you. There's some more information on saving Automator workflows here.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks. I just ran it by clicking the workflow, but I realize I still have to hit "Run" after Automator opens. Is there a way to click the workflow and make automator run the workflow immediately after clicking it?

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Yes. If you look on the link I gave, one of the options listed is to save it as an application.

Application (.app)
This is a really cool way to save your Automator workflow. When you save the workflow as an application, it will appear just like an application file (.app) and will allow you to run the workflow by double-clicking (just like a real application). You can save a workflow like this by clicking File > Save, and selecting "application" from the format drop-down menu.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Cool. I didn't get that far with it all. I just bookmarked it! WIll look at it later tonight.

Thanks again!

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
To revisit this thread, is there an easy way (besides disk utility) to mount an external HDD through automator or Applescript?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.