Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Ask and you shall receive.

Welcome. I have been using smc since early v.1 and have had no problems other than a memory leak in a v.2.x release that was fixed the next day.

Also, I created presets for 1500, 3000, 4500, and 6000 rpm. Don't use 6000 much, but it's nice to have 4 distinguished steps for cooling effectiveness/quickness.

MacBookProJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Seattle, Warshington
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=250122&fan+control

Have a look at that one. You can set lower rpm, and lower and upper temperatur limits at which the rpm starts faster and hit full speed.
Works fine for me...

Well thats just great! I followed your link and down loaded your suggestion. I unzipped it and now I dont know where the damn thing is! I cant find it! Can you offer hints as to where this darn thing is? And what its called?

Kaupa

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Germany
Yes, sorry.
It is within the system preferences...
Before using it you have to reboot and repair rights...

MacBookProJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Seattle, Warshington
Ok, Im sorry for being such a putz. Here's my problem. I originally installed SMC fan control and it worked GREAT! Then while screwing around I threw it into the trash. Then I tried that other control from the German site and I didnt care for it. So, I through that into the trash rebooted and then reinstalled SMC. the trouble is it isnt responding well like it did before. Before it would adjust to temperatures. Now I try and set my own and they arent working. I try and set for example, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 6000 etc etc. Before I could do it, now it wont.

Im frustrated and lost damn it. Serves me right for leaving the Mac 15 years ago.

Tom

Kaupa

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Germany
Hello,
maybe you got the wrong version? For leopard you need the 1,21.
What was wrong with that app?

ps
to uninstall the fan control:
Uninstall Instructions

1. Remove the following files and folders (both on your start disk):

/Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
/Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane

(You will be prompted for the Administrator's password when deleting these items.)
2. Reboot
3. If you have a newer Mac model (i.e. with Core 2 Duo), use the utility smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/files/...8a52bae5fdc-16. html to reset all settings to Apple's defaults.
4. Reboot again.

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Ok, Im sorry for being such a putz. Here's my problem. I originally installed SMC fan control and it worked GREAT! Then while screwing around I threw it into the trash. Then I tried that other control from the German site and I didnt care for it. So, I through that into the trash rebooted and then reinstalled SMC. the trouble is it isnt responding well like it did before. Before it would adjust to temperatures. Now I try and set my own and they arent working. I try and set for example, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 6000 etc etc. Before I could do it, now it wont.

Im frustrated and lost damn it. Serves me right for leaving the Mac 15 years ago.

Tom

Do what Kaupa says + you HAVE TO reset the SMC. SMC is the System Management Controller, which forms the bridge between hardware and software, and also controlling the fans.

1. Shutdown.
2. Remove Battery + Adapter
3. Hold Power Button for 5 seconds.
4. Put everything back in.
5. Boot the mac and everything is fine again. The SMC has been reset the factory defaults have control again.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I never liked Fan Control for the very reason you are having trouble. It is more intrusive than smcFanControl and has caused more problems (that I have seen) when people update or uninstall it.

The others have provided the steps to resolve the situation, so I won't repeat.

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I never liked Fan Control for the very reason you are having trouble. It is more intrusive than smcFanControl and has caused more problems (that I have seen) when people update or uninstall it.

The others have provided the steps to resolve the situation, so I won't repeat.

You are SO right. I even read some posts elsewhere that Fan Control actually *broke* their SMC... don't know if it's right. But I used it once and will never use it again... my mbp was quite messed up afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.