Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niallerc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all

I've just been on to apple's tech support here in the emerad isle with a question regarding if panther is a free upgrade to the G5 that I ordered on release but only took delivery 2 weeks ago only to be informed that it was a free upgrade to Macs purchased after October 8th.

I doubt very much that apple would do this and I told the tech guy I thought he was wrong (considering I had to tell a tech guy in apple how to install an airport extreme card on saturday, I figured it out quicker than he did).

Anyway I got the standard answer "you'll have to talk to customer care and they won't be in till 9am" typical.

Is this true or has anyone run into the same scenario?

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Here is the official policy from apple web site
http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

Apple would like to give you the opportunity to upgrade to Mac OS X v10.3 “Panther” and Mac OS X Server version 10.3 for just £14 (UK) or €30.25 (Ireland) including VAT.

If you purchased a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (with part numbers M9020B/A, M9031B/A or M9032B/A) on or after August 16th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, you are eligible to participate in this programme.

For New Macs (Except G5 Systems)
If you purchased a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 8th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, you are eligible to participate in this programme.

This is for the ireland store. I think that is the emerald isle.

I know that the U.S. offer is $20 to upgrade for these systems.($20=17 euros and 12 pounds) it sounds like the upgrade program is more expensive over seas.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
its not free. it is $20 dollars to us customers and varying rates for international mac users

I am from the us but i think i over looked that the rate for international customers includes vat(i think maybe this is taxes).

Also it is weird that their is a start date for g5 systems in the UK. When did apple actually start taking orders.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jonapete2001
its not free. it is $20 dollars to us customers and varying rates for international mac users

I am from the us but i think i over looked that the rate for international customers includes vat(i think maybe this is taxes).

Just for your own information VAT stands for Value Added Tax. So in short yes, it is a tax.

niallerc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The G5 systems were on the apple store in the UK and Ireland at the same instant they were on the US Store. After screaming blue murder down the phone to an apple representative and getting the standard 8th October line I phone my supplier (who said he'll buy it for me anyway, nice chap) I ordered the day of release but technically didn't pay till October 3rd, gutted, 5 days before the deadline, talk about the luck of the Irish, me ar$e.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by niallerc
The G5 systems were on the apple store in the UK and Ireland at the same instant they were on the US Store. After screaming blue murder down the phone to an apple representative and getting the standard 8th October line I phone my supplier (who said he'll buy it for me anyway, nice chap) I ordered the day of release but technically didn't pay till October 3rd, gutted, 5 days before the deadline, talk about the luck of the Irish, me ar$e.

Have you even tried the up-to-date program? You're well within the time span put forth on the UK website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.