Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
So this morning I was gonna change the batteries in my apple keyboard. So I held the batteries out and a liquid was on the batteries. It was all over my hand and it burn'd like sh**! So I tried cleaning the battery cover in which the acid had been (luckly not all over the keyboard, but only in the cover/battery-room. So after I'd cleaned it and washed my hands very thoroughly I tried with some new batteries. And hey! IT WORKS! I'm quite impressed!

Well... that was just my 50 cents :)

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
It's a good thing you got to it early. A lot of times once the corrosion starts, you're screwed.

You might think about using higher quality batteries (unless they already are good...) or not leaving them in if you won't be using it for any stretch of time.

Most of the time you see this leakage it's because of dead batteries left in for too long.

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
Not like fire but that feeling of skin burning

Well it was a couple of Sony and Phillips batteries.

And yeah I was very lucky! :)

Mixing battery types can be bad in these situations, different companies use different metals, etc. and this can cause galvanic corrosion to occur.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Mixing battery types can be bad in these situations, different companies use different metals, etc. and this can cause galvanic corrosion to occur.

So maybe thats the reason why it happend??... Well.. I'm just gonna' stick with one pair (+1) rechargeble batteries

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
What kind of battery?

Were the batteries rechargeable or were they special in any way?
I noticed that Apple provides special batteries with the units when they are new. My first pair of batteries did not last more than 3 months. The second pair of batteries are approaching 1 year !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.