Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaMi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I'm planning on selling my ibook since I now have a new macbook. Only used it for school purposes and surfing the web. Is there anything I should do before selling? Is it necessary for me to wipe out my hd so that my personal info isn't in the hands of a stranger? Do I need to buy a special software to do so? Not all that familiar with these kinds of things. Thanks

J

jmadlena

If you still have the OS X disc that came with your iBook, I would simply do an Erase and Install. That way you know that there are none of your personal files on there, and they have a fresh copy of the OS. Everybody wins.

MaMi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
^ if i do this will it delete the office mac I have on there? I do not have the discs for office it came with ibook when I got it. Is the process hard to do? Never has to do this before.

nyquist11

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
options

There are different ways to do it depending on how worried you are:
a. you just wipe it and reinstall
b. cant remember how; but you can use software and make it basically do a "secure empty trash" type thing for your drive; it like writes over it and deletes it
c. you take the current one out and get a new one to put in
d. you do the above then send your HD to a service that shreds it(dont know why these companies exist)

P.S before you do anything you need to send the logic board to me--mine is dead(please make sure it is G4):p:p:p:p:p;):apple::apple::apple::apple:

J

jmadlena

^ if i do this will it delete the office mac I have on there? I do not have the discs for office it came with ibook when I got it. Is the process hard to do? Never has to do this before.

Yes, it will completely erase the harddrive, and put a new copy of Mac OS X on it. So the person you are selling it to will turn it on, and it will look like a bran new computer. And no, it really isn't hard. It does pretty much everything itself.

1. Insert Mac OS X Install Disc (whatever disc your iBook came with)
2. Run "Install Mac OS X"
3. Click Restart
4. Go through a few menus
5. Select Erase and Install
6. Click OK

That's it, IIRC.

But if you don't have the Office discs, this would be a problem, because it would require you (or them) to reinstall it. I'm not sure about how to reinstall but keep office on there.

Maybe someone else knows?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
But if you don't have the Office discs, this would be a problem, because it would require you (or them) to reinstall it. I'm not sure about how to reinstall but keep office on there.

If you don't have the disks you can't legaly transfer ownership of Office and you should wipe it off the disk. For the most part you can't leave software on the drive onless you intend to transfer the license to the new owner. the safest thing is to wipe the disk claen then install all for software from CD and then package the CDs with the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.