Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Which publication would *you* choose? I've got a free year of MacWorld piling up in my Zinio Reader (which has been buggy), but I've heard that MacAddict can be a bit more "fun." What's the scoop and relationship between these two magazines?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Yeah, MacAddict is more "fun" and they certainly do a fair share of windows bashing, but I think MacWorld is more for the "I buy a Mac do get work done and need top-notch software and hardware" kinda person.

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
I read both, MacAddict has a great staff that tend to break the rules somewhat. MacWorld does a good job with their reviews. It is a toss up, but I read atleast 5 Mac mags a month and these two are the best...

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
I've had a subscription to macworld for 2 yrs now. And this last year I had the desicion of keeping the world, or going to the addict. For me, I tend to think the world has a few more tutorials and how to's than addict, which is what I'm looking for. I buy about 3 addict mag's a year, and altough they are great and informative....I keep going with macworld. Basically, all the biggest hardware and software will obviously be covered in both, so the tutorials are what are the tie breaker in my mind.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
What about MacDesign?

I do like MacWorld and MacAddict. But, I prefer MacDesign...why? Because it's has tutorials and really helpfull tips and it seems to have better reviews. I rather learn how to use a new product and get a detailed report how it functions rather than hear rumors about a new product or how it beats a PC. I know MacAddict is a mac magazine, but from what i see..they are a little too ProMac, not showing any competition.

But, before you flame me I just wanna say that I have only read two issues of MacAddict and three of MacWorld and that is what I got outof it, but since I haven't really been a fallower of either, my opinion may not have much support behind it.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Sounds like I'll stick with MacWorld because it's free. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something much better.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Wano
What about MacDesign?

I do like MacWorld and MacAddict. But, I prefer MacDesign...why? Because it's has tutorials and really helpfull tips and it seems to have better reviews. I rather learn how to use a new product and get a detailed report how it functions rather than hear rumors about a new product or how it beats a PC. I know MacAddict is a mac magazine, but from what i see..they are a little too ProMac, not showing any competition.

But, before you flame me I just wanna say that I have only read two issues of MacAddict and three of MacWorld and that is what I got outof it, but since I haven't really been a fallower of either, my opinion may not have much support behind it.

Funny, that.

Scott Kelby seems to take perverse pleasure in ridiculing PC users in MacDesign magazine. For some reason, he doesn't do it in Photoshop User, though, where they just reviewed a Dell PC. :D

I like MacDesign a lot for the design focus, MacAddict is fun but extremely thin. I wonder if they make fun of Mac users in their sister magazine, Maximum PC. MacWorld does have a lot of good information since MacUser was merged into it. It was pretty much an advertising outlet prior to that. (Yes, I know, it's not changed a lot there.)

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
free Addict!

Months back there was a link posted on the board to sign up for a free subscription to Addict. I filled out the form online figuring it was bogus. To my pleasuer, 2 weeks ago i started to get my free MacAddict! go to http://www.freebizmag.com and sign up as if you are a IT professional. good luck!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: free Addict!

Originally posted by KentuckyApple
Months back there was a link posted on the board to sign up for a free subscription to Addict. I filled out the form online figuring it was bogus. To my pleasuer, 2 weeks ago i started to get my free MacAddict! go to http://www.freebizmag.com and sign up as if you are a IT professional. good luck!

Neither MacAddict nor MacWorld were listed... Oh well.. Enjoy the free mag for all of us!

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I prefer MacAddict to MacWorld. I think MacAddict is targeted more at the Mac hobbyist/Mac freak crowd, and MacWorld is more about the Mac-using professional. The former is about a philosophy/way of life, the second is more about making a business out of your Mac.

There is certainly some overlap between the two, but I think that's what it basically boils down to. Some folks will need both, of course.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Both are wasting away. I have given up on my once favorite MacAddict for my older favorite MacWorld. That is, when I want to bother with magazines.... I now reserve them for plane rides and doctor offices. I get all the content I need from the web.

Dan

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
There is a new rag on the streets these days, fanboys.

If you can handle it...look out for MacMolester. It's kind of a D.I.Y. project, so it might not be available in your area just yet.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
MacAddict all the way. Better writing, more fun, more accurate reviews. MacWorld is sorta boring, very biased (they give everything from Apple a 10), and just kind of blah. Get MacAddict, unless you're old or boring, or both. ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I use to subscribe to both but Macworld got so clean & tighty with not many pictures so i canceled and have kept MacAddict ever since. They do write with more humor and fun and give a lot of stuff each month with the disc. Do have one complaint and that is they are now only using photoshop for benchmarking which sucks with a capital S. Rik if you are reading this you need a new gaming benchmark like UT2K3,or Nascar 2002/3 whatever but a gauzien blur dont mean crap to me. Anyways they have a good mag even if it has gone to shallow on its reviews of products and its sorry benchmarking ways - drifts around as to not allow direct comparisons on mac vs mac benches. they have a habit of doing this the past year or two.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by bousozoku
I wonder if they make fun of Mac users in their sister magazine, Maximum PC.

Yes, all the time. Sometimes, just like everyone else, for the stupidest reasons. They seemed to love the iPod last time I read the mag, but still make the comments. I haven't really read it lately. I bet they trashed the G5, too.

Typical. :rolleyes:

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I signed up for the free MacAddict magazine a long time ago, and I really am in the IT/Internet industry, but I never received a single issue. Anyone know how long it takes to start coming?

Alia

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
They are both good 'zines ...

But they both have their faults, some of which have to do with being commercial products themselves. F'rinstance, if there's a software niche addressed by 2 somewhat-ancient freeware apps, 2 recent shareware releases from well-known shareware vendors, and 2 commercial apps, the reviews will read like:

MacWorld headline: Face-off! Frustrator or Lepton -- Best Tool for Digital Sketchwork?
MacAddict headline: Grudge Match! Adobus Frustrator Eyeball to Eyeball with DiggyHell's Lepton for the Heavyweight Championship!

Four pages detailed writeups with comparison columns doing feature-by-feature. MacWorld will have an extra photo of an oddball cool feature and/or an annoying interface glitch. MacAddict will have four panelists tell short anecdotes about why this one or that one is their fave.

Sidebar on page 3, taking up 1/3 of r.h. side: For the Budget-Challenged ...If you have more use for $629 in your wallet than you do for 13 custom floating palettes and the ability to publish your scribbles to interactive-lightshow format, there are also these shareware choices. We won't bother to give them full reviews, but we'll say they are cool and we'll even give you the links to download. Don't forget to pay your shareware!

Oceanside Software's DesignerChief http://elcheapo.designerchief/download.hqx
WickedSoft's SketchMaker Pro http://www.goodsw/downloads/skpro.bin

Nowhere in the articles will there be any mention of the freeware products.

(the above is a generalization. that exceptions exist is accepted from the outset)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by alia
I signed up for the free MacAddict magazine a long time ago, and I really am in the IT/Internet industry, but I never received a single issue. Anyone know how long it takes to start coming?

Alia
i would say if its been 6 weeks or more one of your neighbors have it. do yourself a favor and go for a year and get the disc with it you wont be sorry. filled with great tips,pictures,articles,reviews etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.