Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIADolFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
I have a sony mavica camera that records onto mini cd-r's (small cd...not mini disc). Normally when you insert a cd it appears on the desktop. When I insert the mini-cd... nothing happens. It does not mount the smaller cd. The tray has a smaller indentation for the smaller cd.

Is the Sony camera not compatible??? The sony site says it is fully compatible with Mac. OS X should be able to read nay cd anyways, shouldnt it?

I am using a new 17" imac (flat panel), running OS 10.2 with a superdrive.

Any advice is appreciated.:)

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
That's interesting. It should be recording into a Windows-formatted CD, which should happily mount on the OS X desktop. I still have an old Sony Mavica FD-series camera which stored photos on floppies, and with an external floppy drive, I've mounted the disks in OS X.

:confused: In other words, it should work, but I have no idea why it doesn't.

MIADolFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
I think it has to do with the fact that the CD camera records in a UDF 2.0 format. Apple admits that the OS X finder cannot read that version of the UDF. I'm hoping that is resolved in Panther.

bronch

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2003
Same happens to me...

,,, and it really drives me mad. Evrything was ok on my old iMac with OS9. Now have upgraded to a 17"iMac and run into this silly problem - forces me to keep the old machine just to read the mavica discs. Have spent hours googling around but have found no solution at all. Sony and Apple should blush for this one.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if it says it's OS X compatable but is not, that's false advertising... file a complaint with the BBB, something fun like that.

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.