Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I need to get a new battery for an 867mhz Rev. A 12" PowerBook. Specs

I found this battery on eBay and wanted to know if it was right and what I should be looking for or looking out for - pitfalls in getting a battery.

Any help would be great. The current battery only holds a five minute charge (been that way at least a year) and I want to give my wife's old laptop to either my mom or her dad. It will be used mostly plugged in with an iSight and USB HDD attached which will probably kill a new battery again. This is not the original battery as it was replaced under 3yr Applecare but at 5 yrs old this machine has spent most of its life plugged in all the time, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just worn out batteries now twice in life cycle.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Apple still sells 12" PB batteries online. You should buy from them or a reputable dealer like OWC. I wouldn't buy a battery on eBay because you don't know how many cycles it's had or how old it is, and how well it holds a charge. Plus, if you get a dud from Apple, you can just send it back.

EDIT: I checked out the eBay listing and they claim the battery is unused, and it's pretty cheap, and they list the compatible models, so you could try it. I'm just not an eBay guy. If you have the money, I still say go Apple or OWC, maybe Powerbook Medic. The price on that eBay sale is suspiciously low. But, your call.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Battery

Having looked at the listed, it should be fine for your laptop, but i don't think it's an original Apple battery, especially not for that price.

I got one earlier on in the year, which has been great. It was an official Apple one, brand new (although the manufacturing year was about '05), and i paid £40 ($80) for it i think.

It's got a half year warranty, so you might as well go for it, and if it's useless, send it back.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Having looked at the listed, it should be fine for your laptop, but i don't think it's an original Apple battery, especially not for that price.

The listing states 100% OEM COMPATIBLE, which means it is not an Apple battery.

For $30, I say go for it.

agentornge33

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
I bought a replacement battery with a similar description on ebay but different seller and I was expecting a third party battery but it turned out to be OEM. Only thing is when I checked the battery serial number for the battery it was under the series of batteries that was recalled and when double checking to see if I could exchange it, the Apple Battery Exchange program website says it's already been exchanged before...

Did I get ripped off? Should I go ahead and use it anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.