Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

remo72tg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007
I have a Verizon Fios Actiontec wi-fi router installed on the main level towards the front of my house connected to my iMac via ethernet cable and I just moved a Mac mini on the upper level towards the back of my house and would like to connect it with the Actiontec wi-fi. Problem is I'm not getting good wireless signal to the Mini I tried moving the router around a bit but still not good enough. I was thinking of getting the Airport extreme and getting rid of Actiontec router, one of my friends suggested to get Airport express which is a bit cheaper and just use that to extend the range.
Also if I do get the Express will it connect with Actiontec out the box or I have configure it.
I appreciate any suggestions.

remo72tg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007
I have a Verizon Fios Actiontec wi-fi router installed on the main level towards the front of my house connected to my iMac via ethernet cable and I just moved a Mac mini on the upper level towards the back of my house and would like to connect it with the Actiontec wi-fi. Problem is I'm not getting good wireless signal to the Mini I tried moving the router around a bit but still not good enough. I was thinking of getting the Airport extreme and getting rid of Actiontec router, one of my friends suggested to get Airport express which is a bit cheaper and just use that to extend the range.
Also if I do get the Express will it connect with Actiontec out the box or I have configure it.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Anyone???

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You can only extend the range if u have another apple base station. U will not be able to extend the range of the verizon router using the airport express.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

one more thing. Do u have the Tv service for verizon? If you do, they require to use their router for the guide, widgets etc. I have fios with the same router. I plugged my TC into the the verizon via Ethernet and created a bridge network for my n devices.

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
As far as I know the AirPort Express only works with an Apple router. I daisy-chained my old Apple AirPort to the FiOS Action Tech router. So my home network consists to the Action Tech network and the Apple network extended by my AirPort Express.

I want to eliminate the ActionTech router all together sometime soon.

remo72tg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007
I don't have the TV service, can I get rid of the Actiontec router and just get Airport extreme?

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas

remo72tg said:
I don't have the TV service, can I get rid of the Actiontec router and just get Airport extreme?

yes u can, however I would also get the express to put upstairs to increase the signal with the extreme. U should be all set

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA

Yes you can as long as the "cable" that comes in to your Actiontec is an ethernet cable. The older ones were coxial but if you have the ethernet version the Actiontec isnt acting as a modem, its just a router so you will be able to replace it with the AEBS.

You may need to call Verizon and have them renew the lease of your IP to get it to work but just explain it to them and they will handle it for you.

remo72tg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007

yes u can, however I would also get the express to put upstairs to increase the signal with the extreme. U should be all set

Thanks for all the replies. I went and bought Airport extreme and connected it today and the signal is much better compare to verizon's router. I think I'm also gonna pick up Airport express as suggested to improve it even more.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas

remo72tg said:

Thanks for all the replies. I went and bought Airport extreme and connected it today and the signal is much better compare to verizon's router. I think I'm also gonna pick up Airport express as suggested to improve it even more.

The express will make a great improvement. Just make sure you allow the extreme to be extended in airport utility. Do u have any G devices connecting to ur network? If not then I would setup an N only network for faster transmit speeds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.