Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i have just imported some photos into iPhoto, but cannot find the
original location of the photos....
There is no 'Show in Finder' Option......

There is just an iPhoto Library.....

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
In iPhoto, right click on a photo and choose "Show file" it'll reveal it in Finder.

To brows your iPhoto library in Finder, go to Pictures folder in your home folder, right click on 'iPhoto library' and choose 'Show package contents'. From there you can open 'originals' and it should be arranged by year then date. There also other stuff, like modified copies etc that you can just explore yourself.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i have just imported some photos into iPhoto, but cannot find the
original location of the photos....
There is no 'Show in Finder' Option......

There is just an iPhoto Library.....

First off "Why?' Are your just curious? If so,then they are inside the iPhoto library in the Pictures folder. You can right click on the library and then select "show package content. But iPhoto hides them this way for a good reason. It's to prevent you from messing with them.

You really should never have to know where the files are. If you need an image file to include in an email or web page the "correct" way go is to export the file to the dektop from iPhoto

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
ok, what if you need a copy of the photo at 560 x 456 pixels ?

Can you export at any pixel size ?

Yes. Well, I think it insists you keep it in proportion.

Or, you could just drag the photo from iPhoto straight into you image editing application, then just 'save as' where ever you want the altered copy.

ORR you can specify an external image editor in iPhoto preferences, then right click on the photo > Edit in external editor

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i just don't like the way, iPhoto hides your photos,
so you have to push "show package contents"........

so, i guess there is no way to get into package contents
without right clicking......?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera

Yes indeed. It requires a bit of a different approach to your photo organization, but one that I've come to like. Having iPhoto 'hide' your photo isn't a bad thing, since you can always drag a copy to the desktop to play with if you like. Exporting in whatever size/format you're likely to want is possible too.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA

Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD. Do not do anything to your photos in the library in finder. Forget they are there! Follow the advice already given and work from within the app. iPhoto keeps your photos safe in its own way, and in a way that it can access. Any messing about in the library in finder will render iPhoto useless. Just work from within the app and forget that the library in finder is there. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
well Mary, what if you need a specific format like,
1682 x 1235 pixel TIFF format in High Quality ?

Is iPhoto that customizable ?

thanks!

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland

thanks!

TIFF is an option, although I don't think you can choose the quality of TIFFs in iPhoto, why don't you just have a look yourself :p

Even if it's not got enough export options for you, you still don't need to go poking around in the library when there's all these options to open the photo in other apps from within iPhoto.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

thanks!

Like others have said in the thread, drag the pic to the desktop and make whatever changes you need. But don't mess around with files in Finder.

I have seen many iPhoto librarys destroyed because a user wanted to see the files and mess with them from finder.

Most of these people were recent switchers are were still in the windows frame of mind.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
True, you can right click on the library and show the contents. But Apple highly recommends not making any change from within that directory. You can hose your entire library. Add and remove pics from iPhoto itself.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
what if you need a specific format like,

No - but it's very easy to launch image, from within iPoto, in an external editor and do so. iPhoto's real strength is it's seamless inventory management, not it's editing capabilities.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Yes you can do that although "High Quality" was no meaning when you are creating a TIFF file. (Maybe you are thingking of JPG files.) When you export from iPhoto you can specify the format.

But I do the your point. What if you needed some exotic format that iPhoto could not do? You best bet in that case would be to from within iPhoto, export the image to the desktop then use some other software. Or if Photoshop were installed as your "external editor" double click the image in iPhoto to bring it up inside Photoshop then inside PS do a "Save As.." and save to the desired format.
But in not case do you ever need to where iPhoto stores the file.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Click on the photo you want, click "export" from I think the file menu (?). You can just export the original, or you can pull from the drop-down to export tiff, jpg, etc. in different quality and size settings. However, I don't think you can specify the pixels. You have to crop the picture to the pixel size you want, and then export.

If you simply want to export a jpg as-is, just drag to the desktop.

sachadon

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
iphoto secracy

I don't understand why to keep the .jpg in secret place? what if I want to go back to windows an export all my 10 Gb of photos. How can I do that.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
No reason to ever get to the raw files, huh? Maybe if you're talking about a desktop with a gigantic hard drive, or you don't take many pictures, but if you have a laptop and like photography you'll find your machine starting to lag unless you clear off some files.

This requires going into the library and deleting stuff after backing it up on an external. Which requires right (or in my case, CTRL clicking). Which I always forget, which requires me to google, "where are my photos" and find threads like this to remind me. So, thanks for the help.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
No reason to ever get to the raw files, huh? Maybe if you're talking about a desktop with a gigantic hard drive, or you don't take many pictures, but if you have a laptop and like photography you'll find your machine starting to lag unless you clear off some files.

This requires going into the library and deleting stuff after backing it up on an external. Which requires right (or in my case, CTRL clicking). Which I always forget, which requires me to google, "where are my photos" and find threads like this to remind me. So, thanks for the help.

No need to ctrl click > show packages to delete files. iPhoto > Photo menu > Move to Trash deletes originals, including raw files. Just don't forget to empty the iPhoto Trash after.

mikeasmel

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
load photos from iphoto to Kodak Gallery

how to i find the photos in my browser to load to Kodak Gallery from a mac? I don't have a right click on my mouse and can't find the photos?

raychee34

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
So if i drag the photo I want from iphoto and then lets say I want to upload it to walmart.com or something.. after I am done uploading it can I delete it from the desktop and it will still be in iphoto??

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
So if i drag the photo I want from iphoto and then lets say I want to upload it to walmart.com or something.. after I am done uploading it can I delete it from the desktop and it will still be in iphoto??

In a word... yes. But if you're going to upload to a website, you might be better off exporting from the iPhoto menu, selecting filetype (most likely .jpg) and quality, and you can select custom size, and make whatever size you want, select destination folder - boom. Done! If you want a weird size, like 512 x 483 or something like that, then you either have to crop the shape to the same aspect ratio, then export while defining the long side as 512pixels long, or simply edit in an editing program that will let you see the dimensions as you crop (I wish iPhoto would do this, BTW.)

I don't use iPhoto much, but on occasion it comes in handy, and especially when using other Apple apps that link to the iPhoto library. I changed my preferences to import photos without copying them. I did this because when I import my originals from my camera I don't use iPhoto for this purpose, and have my own file system for that. I don't need the duplicates copied on my hard drive just for iPhoto to have it's own copy, but it still works just as well... I guess there are lots of different ways one could do all of this...

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home

Yes and see above post too (thanks pdxflint)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
First off "Why?' Are your just curious? If so,then they are inside the iPhoto library in the Pictures folder. You can right click on the library and then select "show package content. But iPhoto hides them this way for a good reason. It's to prevent you from messing with them.

You really should never have to know where the files are. If you need an image file to include in an email or web page the "correct" way go is to export the file to the dektop from iPhoto

This is without a doubt the most insane thing I have ever heard of regarding data asset / drive capacity management. If I ran my half a million + image library like that, I would be out of business. iPhoto may be fine for amateurs, but it is a terrible program in terms of workflow / accountability for a professional.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
This is without a doubt the most insane thing I have ever heard of regarding data asset / drive capacity management. If I ran my half a million + image library like that, I would be out of business. iPhoto may be fine for amateurs, but it is a terrible program in terms of workflow / accountability for a professional.

This is a given. Are you just realizing that now? iPhoto is a photo manager and a basic DAM for home and amateur use. I'm sure there could be pros out there using it, but that's not it's intended audience. Aperture is the Apple Pro Ap, for example. There are, of course, others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.