Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beau21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
hey guys.

i'm looking for a way to create animated GIFs from movie clips. i used iMovie to edit the clip to what I want and then exported it as a .m4v clip. does anyone have a way i can covert my .m4v clips to GIFs? i looked in iMovie but couldn't find it.. and i looked in Quicktime Pro but didn't see it (i may have missed it in one of these apps though.. i just started using these programs)

thanks!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
GIF is not desgined for exporting movies.

First of all, photos (a frame of video) do not look good as GIF, because GIF files has only limited color space.

Second, photos when converted to GIF will be larger than JPEG of the same quality (but JPEG cannot animate).

So when you convert a video to GIF, you will get a poor quality file that is large in size in comparison to other formats. And you get no sound with GIF.

You should export to mp4.

If you really want to make a gif animation, I suggest take screenshot of only a few frames, and put it into a graphics app that can make GIF from a collection of images.

beau21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
any recommendations for making gifs from downloaded video clips then instead of movies?

either that or a .m4v to .gif converter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.