Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickV-WDMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I have a few month old iPhone. Recently, it's been acting glitchy when trying to connect it via the provided cable to either my computer or the wall plug. At first, it would take a jiggle of the cable for it to charge the phone, otherwise it would act as if nothing was plugged in. Now, it won't even see the cable, whether it's to the wall, to the computer, with or without the dock stand.

I have two cables that I have tried, and I've verified that the cables are OK because they both work with my iPod nano, it connects to the computer and it works with the charger.

Any ideas? I've set up a "tech session" with someone at the local Apple store tomorrow, but I'm afraid my battery might run down before then.

I've tried restarting it, and also resetting all the settings via the phone itself.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
try checking the iphone on the bottom were you plug the usb cable..could be that one of your pins on the the iphones connections are lose ..or something could be in it preventing it from having a good connections to the usb plug..blow it out with a duster..

NickV-WDMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
try checking the iphone on the bottom were you plug the usb cable..could be that one of your pins on the the iphones connections are lose ..or something could be in it preventing it from having a good connections to the usb plug..blow it out with a duster..

I can't "see" anything loose, but I am far from an expert.

I tried blowing it out with the air duster, no dice. :(

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Have you drop your iPhone ? Or maybe got water on it?

Seem like this would be a hardware issue than software ..
just take it back to apple ..

NickV-WDMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Negative. No dropping, no water.

I guess I'll just see what they say at the store today.

NickV-WDMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Well, I got a replacement iPhone. The "Apple Genius" people were very friendly. I told them the problem and they took a look at it, tried it out, and confirmed that the pins had messed up, either lost their connectivity or something, who knows. Just a defect.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
great....now what happens when iphones that need to be replaced because of defects ect..will they give you 3G iphone when theres no more first gen iphones..when the 3Gs are out..or they will have to get it repair or apple has back ups of regular iphones that they stock and dont sell it just for replacments..

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Well, I got a replacement iPhone. The "Apple Genius" people were very friendly. I told them the problem and they took a look at it, tried it out, and confirmed that the pins had messed up, either lost their connectivity or something, who knows. Just a defect.

Apple's customer service is the best, another great story

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.