Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogrefy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Idaho
I apologize if this has already been asked before, I tried searching for quite awhile but didn't find an answer...

I'm interested in disabling the ctrl+click keyboard combination in Leopard from emulating a mouse right click; I already have a 3-button TrackMan Wheel and would prefer that while in VMWare and other applications that the right click work the way it does and the ctrl click functions appropriately in VMWare Fusion.

I know that there are other key+mouse combos to replace ctrl+click in Windows, but old habits die hard and I'd like to just use ctrl+click since I'm not using it in OS X due to my 3-button Logitech mouse.

Is it possible to prevent OS X from interpreting CTRL+Click as a right mouse button?

mogrefy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Idaho
Thanks, I was hoping to even get ctrl+click multiselect to work in OS X too but I didn't have high hopes that it would be possible.

For now at least having Windows act like windows in terms of ctrl+click is a big step in the right direction.

Thanks!

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
I find I can't do some things in programs like Adobe Illustrator, which rely quite heavily on modifier+click actions... is there any way to disable ctrl-click completely? I have never used ctrl-click on my macbook's double-finger-tap-enabled trackpad and sometimes use my external mouse...

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Nope.. that wasn't what I was trying to do in Illustrator... If you draw a square in Illustrator, then try to make a textbox in it, it'll want to make the square into a textbox instead (the cursor shows the I beam with a dotted circle), unless you hold down control when you drag the textbox (the cursor shows the I beam with a dotted square).. but really that's not the point.. I don't want to have the ctrl-click because I simply don't use it.. never have, and don't see a reason I ever will...

Is the control-click a part of the OS, a driver, or hardwired into the keyboard? I'd assume it wasn't hardwired or Mac OS X won't be able to let you change modifier keys around...

atleee

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Is it not possible???

I too want to get rid of the to me completely useless ctrl+click equals right-click feature. My apple mouse has a right button and the trackpad can be two-finger clicked for right click so why would I want to ctrl+click?? In flash apps this is a pain in the ...!
Anyone to the rescue? :confused:

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
It's part of the OS. Ctrl+Click is the command for a context menu.

Some (not all) mouse drivers support right-clicking to emulate ctrl-click. Not the other way around. If you don't use it, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to, and no Mac application will use ctrl-click for anything else. (Command-click, yes, like Illustrator.)

(EDIT: You can swap the keys, though.)

Reactions: CreatorCode

atleee

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks anyway

Well flash applications don't care if you're running mac os, and this is where I need to use ctrl+click. Suppose I'll just have to run it in vmware instead. I still think it's kinda dumb not to have this as an option..

a2ashraf

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Disable right click in Fusion

Try the VMware Fusion -> Preferences menu. Deselect the option:

"Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts (Control-click for right-click)"

This is not entirely correct, the steps you must follow are:

Command , (which gets you into the fusion preferences)
Second button on top (keyboard & mouse)
second tab (Mouse Shortcuts)
Disable the first checkbox, namely: Secondary button -> control - primary button.

This will remove the right click inside fusion.
I use to never reply to posts, but so many of you have helped me out..

See screen shot of attachement (if it came through)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,907

kutenai

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
There ARE good reasons to disable Control-Click

Some of the posts to this were a bit flippant.. "if you don't like it, don't use it.." or something to that effect.

I am using Chicken of the VNC to connect to Unix servers.. I need to use Control-Click to access applications there. They do not understand Command-click, or that has not been mapped, and Control-click brings up the context menu.. I would really like a way around that..

Jolapuss

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Another reason for disabling it...

I completely agree with kutenai, if people are asking for a way around control+click it's probably for a reason...

I log on to my work PC via Java-based terminal server which creates a virtual Windows environment (so no VMWare) and find it realy irritating not to be able to control-click to multi-select items (cmd-click doesn't work as the applications think they are in a Windows environment).

Any help (or a friendly word to some developers at Apple!) would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: david_coleman

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
This is not entirely correct, the steps you must follow are:

Command , (which gets you into the fusion preferences)
Second button on top (keyboard & mouse)
second tab (Mouse Shortcuts)
Disable the first checkbox, namely: Secondary button -> control - primary button.

This will remove the right click inside fusion.
I use to never reply to posts, but so many of you have helped me out..

This worked beautifully for me. Thank you so much!

johnodonovan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
this is clearly still an important and unsolved issue

Has anyone been able to solve this problem? There are tons of web based apps that require ctrl-click as input (flash, flex, javascript etc etc). I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to enter ctrl-click to do multiple selects on a JS-based graph application that i'm working with.

These apps are OS-independent, so it is important that OSx supports this input, whether it was in apple's initial design or not.

ergo, "if you don't like it don't use it" is not a useful answer to this thread.

cheers.

Follow up:
I managed to get my app working by changing the code to use shift instead of ctrl. Of the two JS functions below, the first returns true on a mac
when shift is pressed, but the second returns false when ctrl is pressed.
On windows, both return true when the appropriate button is pressed.

function isShiftPressed(e)
{
var shiftPressed=0;

if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion)>3) {

var evt = navigator.appName=="Netscape" ? e:event;

if (navigator.appName=="Netscape" && parseInt(navigator.appVersion)==4)
{
// NETSCAPE 4 CODE
var mString =(e.modifiers+31).toString(2).substring(3,6);
shiftPressed =(mString.charAt(1)=="1");
}
else
{
// NEWER BROWSERS [CROSS-PLATFORM]
shiftPressed =evt.shiftKey;
}
if (shiftPressed)
{
alert('shift pressed!');
return true;
}
}

return false;
}

function isCtrlPressed(e)
{
var ctrlPressed=0;

if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion)>3) {

var evt = navigator.appName=="Netscape" ? e:event;

if (navigator.appName=="Netscape" && parseInt(navigator.appVersion)==4)
{
// NETSCAPE 4 CODE
var mString =(e.modifiers+32).toString(2).substring(3,6);
ctrlPressed =(mString.charAt(1)=="1");
}
else
{
// NEWER BROWSERS [CROSS-PLATFORM]
ctrlPressed =evt.ctrlKey;
}
if (ctrlPressed)
{
alert('ctrl pressed!');
return true;
}
}

return false;
}

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Besides, portent is right. It cannot be changed. It's been implemented at a very low level, and you'll never find a solution. If you're mad about that, then be mad at Apple (though that's... useless).

jW

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.