Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarigaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
All,

I have a Powerbook G3 550Mhz (Firewire/Prismo) with 1 Gig of RAM. I have just "upgraded" it to OSX 10.2.3 from OS9. I completely reformatted the drive and then created a HFS (I believe) partition on which I proceeded to install OSX. This system is a part of a small windows/macintosh network. Appletalk has been turned off and only TCP/IP is being used as a network protocol. This Mac is primarily being used for some DTP applications, AOL and MS Office X. Norton Anti Virus 9 has been installed. All applications installed are fully OSX compliant. Now the application are running extremely slow(compared to OS9), even though it has 1 gig of ram. Under OS9 it had only 256mb of RAM. After some research on this wonderful form (wink), I have taken the following steps to further troubleshoot/resolve the "slowness":

1. I have made sure that "Net Info" is unchecked under Applications>Utilities>Directory Access.

2. I have also gone into Apple-S (single user mode) and ran FSCK -Y.

Please Help

Thanks in Advance

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I'd axe Norton. I installed Norton Utilities on my iMac and it hosed my system enough that AppleCare said to reload it. My co-worker had the same thing happen on his iBook.

tarigaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
OK--here are a few responses to some of youe question(s):

Slow meaning 10-20 seconds for the app to launch.

Axing norton will try that but...

Also Updating to 10.2.8 for the sake of updating is maybe a solution. I mean what has 10.2.8 fixed?(not sure myself) and I can't be the only one who has had this slowness. I will also try and post the exact list of all the processes running.

Thanks

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Even 10.2.4 showed better application speed over 10.2.3 but 10.2.8 is much, much faster than either. The speed improvement is apparent with both my G3 and dual G4 machines.

There are many reasons to upgrade to 10.2.8 besides speed. For me, printing did not work correctly until 10.2.5 and communications using a modem has been greatly improved since 10.2.3 where there was a curious disconnect loop that required a restart.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Have you tried repairing permissions? that usually fixes this kind of thing:

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility: Repair permissions.

tarigaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks Wes that did the trick!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone explain/point me in the right direction where I may find more explanation(s) to this problem(s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.