Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
hey all
not my problem, but a friend's.
he was being stupid and thought...hey what happens if i delete system preference...
he did and emptied his rubbish bin.
now hes asking me what to do to restore it back......

thats pretty silly of apple to allow us to delete 'system preferences'...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I was actually thinking it's pretty stupid how your friend went and deleted it - not how Apple allows users to do what they want on their computers...

If you and him both have the same version of OS X, then you could just take the App across on a USB key or email it to him.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
OP: If you have the same version of Mac OS X you could put one into Firewire Target Mode and transfer the app over; or use a USB pen; over the network etc.

Alternatively, try installing the combo updater for the version of OS X that he/she's running - its a long shot as I dont think System Preferences is usually updated but its worth a try.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I was actually thinking it's pretty stupid how your friend went and deleted it - not how Apple allows users to do what they want on their computers...

If you and him both have the same version of OS X, then you could just take the App across on a USB key or email it to him.

I'll agree, although, I do recall the time when Apple let you edit the home name in the Finder window, only for it to essentially destroy your account. I guess that counts as Apple allowing users to do what they want on their computers.:rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not a big deal, just restores that user account to factory settings.

Though cannot remember all of what the actual System Pref file controls.

Not unusual for the need to trash a file because they get corrupted (cough Network prefs) and cause issues.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
thing is...friend/cousin of mine lives in indonesia...
ahah
and he is running leopard but doesnt do time machine.

im telling him to do factory settings thing...but would he have to backup all his itunes music etc??

pretty silly problem to have.....he came form windows and he was like......wtf,this is like me uninstalling 'control panel'...

but i wonder, if he has system preferences deleted, he wouldnt be able to have wifi on would he?since wifi is under 'system preferences....if so...how is he connected via internet and talking to me right now...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
tell you cousin to download a free trial of Pacifist and then follow these steps.

1. insert the first grey install DVD
  2. open Pacifist and click "Open Apple Install Discs"
  3. click skip when it asks you for the second install DVD and then insert the first again
  4. search for "system preferences" in the toolbar and press enter
  5. click the Install button in the toolbar and supply the admininstator password
System Preferences will then be reinstalled. in Leopard System Preferences is version 5.0 right now so the version on the Leopard install disc wont be outdated. however if your cousin is using Tiger it might not be the right version.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I know it's a silly thing to do but I agree with the OP that it's akin to deleting Control Panel in Windows (which it will not allow you to do). Now if you go into the Registry and start messing around, you can screw things up.
It's a little silly of Apple to allow you to do this without at least a warning - you know like:
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DELETE YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER? Y/N :p
Alan

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If he deleted the System Preferences, the plist files, no biggie. System reverts to factory setting, and you just go in and reset them.

If he deleted the application System Preferences. Not a big deal but you will need to extract the application off the DVD. Doesn't reset anything, just makes it hard to change things until you stick it back on the drive.

---

If you are on OS X, same version, just e-mail the app to this person.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
problem solved.
that email thing worked.
thanks guys.
and yeh, id like to see apple take more precautions on this...yes its our fault...but for newbies....a reminder message like....ARE YOU SURE???....would be nice..

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Well:rolleyes: Im not sure about you guys, but when I tried to delete System Preference from my Application folder, system prompted me to enter my Admin password.

I think that's sorta like saying "ARE YOU SURE?" to me.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
pretty silly problem to have.....he came form windows and he was like......wtf,this is like me uninstalling 'control panel'...

Sad part about that is its been done. I came into work one day and went to work on one of the system at work. Control Panel was gone. Completely.....how i don't know but it was not fun to fix. The user of that machine has a habit of accidentally doing that type of thing.

sksmithsunset

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Help me plz!!!!!!!!!

I really need help i keep trying to down load my internet to my computer and it wont let me pull up my system preferance.....?i dont know wheat to do...? will sumone plz help me....?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I really need help i keep trying to down load my internet to my computer and it wont let me pull up my system preferance.....?i dont know wheat to do...? will sumone plz help me....?

You need to explain more of what is happening. Is your system preferences icon on the dock gone? What does this have to do with "downloading the internet" (I assume you mean Safari)?

cacarl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
hey all
not my problem, but a friend's.
he was being stupid and thought...hey what happens if i delete system preference...
he did and emptied his rubbish bin.
now hes asking me what to do to restore it back......

thats pretty silly of apple to allow us to delete 'system preferences'...

HI

I have the same prob, what should i do? but i've checked in my Macintosh HD, user, library then, PrefrencesPanes, its in their.
any body knows how to restore my system preferences??

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Since there are several scenarios listed above, which one applies to you? You deleted it from your dock and want it back, or you deleted the file?

If it's simply gone from your dock, open the applications folder in finder and drag it back into your dock. If you deleted the file, have you tried the solutions mentioned above? What were your results? (And why would you delete it?? :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

CaMike

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Hi, I have the same problem, could anybody with Panther email me the System Preferences app??? :apple:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Could anyone e-mail me the System Preferences app for SL?

My mom somehow accidentally deleted hers. I am currently running Lion so mine would not work on her computer.

Let me know if you would be willing to do that and I will pm you my address.

It would be greatly appreciated, she needs it to work with settings needed urgently for her music composition software.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
If no one posts it today, I can post the 10.6.8 one tonight. But you can also use the 10.6.8 combo update + pacifist to install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.