Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmFightSpam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Hi,

I just bought an Apple Cinema Display 20" from someone. It is pretty much new -- never been used and only taken out of the box once. It was bought back in December 2007.

When the monitor was originally bought at Best Buy, the owner also bought the 4 year extended warranty. And that gets transferred to me.

1. So, does that mean I don't need to / shouldn't purchase AppleCare as well?
2. As an aside, since the monitor was bought in December 2007, does that mean I have the latest and greatest incremental updates to the 20" monitor (i.e. it is not exactly the same monitor as it was in 2004 when it came out, right?)

Thanks.

jmFightSpam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I thought I had read somewhere that warranty on Cinema Displays don't get transferred?

Really? Then how would you ever give a Cinema Display as a gift then. For example, if you bought one at Best Buy with the extended warranty and then you gave it to a friend as a gift .... would you have to go with the friend anytime it needed service? That seems weird.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Bestbuy warranty is transferred to the new owner. The first owner will just have to call Bestbuy Warranty and let them know and you may have to sign something. Also, Bestbuy warranty is done through GeekSquad. If you every dealt with them, they are morons and don't know what they are doing. Also to get them to do any work on the computers is like pulling teeth and the goes with LCD screens. Quality of work is more like a 9 year old building your first house. It is just not that great. I also find Circuit City warranty to be the same, with FireDog. I would never buy any other extended warranty besides the manufacture's. If I was you, I would still get AppleCare as my main warranty. Then just use Bestbuy as a last resort and for stupid things for some reason apple will not fix. That was one thing good about Bestbuy warranty. They would fix it after pulling teeth if it was at my fualt. But still a headace for what you deal with. Also you have to wait 3-5 weeks for the repair to be done, with bestbuy and they love to format computers......

But this is all up to you and depending on how much you paid for that screen, it may not be worth getting applecare. Just excercise Bestbuy.

CKMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I actually work with Circuit City and think that extended warranties can be really useful in cases where the manufacturers warranty runs out or doesn't cover something. You can also transfer them between owners. To anyone who has had issues with Circuit City in this regard, I recommend contacting them at consumer_affairs@circuitcity.com. They are really responsive and would be happy to help.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I actually work with Circuit City and think that extended warranties can be really useful in cases where the manufacturers warranty runs out or doesn't cover something. You can also transfer them between owners. To anyone who has had issues with Circuit City in this regard, I recommend contacting them at consumer_affairs@circuitcity.com. They are really responsive and would be happy to help.

Sorry, but in a thread about bestbuy vs applecare, that's just spam in my book.

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Does Best Buy have different kinds of warranties? My XBOX 360 has a Product Replacement Plan which allows me to exchange it if there is anything wrong. A few months ago I took it in with a problem and they let me grab a new one off the shelf no questions asked. If you have a similar plan, Apple Care is not needed.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Does Best Buy have different kinds of warranties? My XBOX 360 has a Product Replacement Plan which allows me to exchange it if there is anything wrong. A few months ago I took it in with a problem and they let me grab a new one off the shelf no questions asked. If you have a similar plan, Apple Care is not needed.

It is different for computers. I just bough an iMac from Bestbuy last week. I did not want to drive to the Apple store. I did talk to them for a bit about the plain. It is still the we "try" to fix 3 times and if it breaks the fourth time we replace it. Plus they never truly replace it. They try to make the old parts work or use no name brand parts for replacement. That was my experience from them and seems to been the same the entire 3 years I owned my laptop. But none the less. I just kept on bringing back my iMac for a replacement for every little thing wrong with it. The 3rd one was perfect and i just bought some Apple Care.

jschaff

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
I just bought a 24in Imac. The Best Buy warranty was $249. The Applecare for the same computer is $169, but through the education store it is $119.

Best Buy tells me that they cover electric surge where Apple does not, and in fact I did look at the Applecare, and they specifically state that acts of God, extreme electrical changes including surges that damage the computer are not covered.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and would you go with BB and the pathetic Geek Squad, or Apple?

Thanks

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I just bought a 24in Imac. The Best Buy warranty was $249. The Applecare for the same computer is $169, but through the education store it is $119.

Best Buy tells me that they cover electric surge where Apple does not, and in fact I did look at the Applecare, and they specifically state that acts of God, extreme electrical changes including surges that damage the computer are not covered.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and would you go with BB and the pathetic Geek Squad, or Apple?

Thanks

Use a surge protector and go with Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.