Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
england
There may already be a thread on this but I can't find it.
Basically, if I convert a video file with 5.1 audio to Apple Tv format (using latest Elgato 264 with 5.1 pass through), is there any way I can playback the file in Os X and get the 5.1 audio to work.
I have tried without success to do this. I have tried VLC and Quicktime with Perian set to multi-channel out. No luck.
5.1 works fine on my system from DVD, but don't seem to be able to get Os X to "see" the 5.1 sound from quicktime encodes.
Any ideas.

Thanks

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
optical?

how are you connecting it to the 5.1 system? you will only get 5.1 from an optical link

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
england
Am using optical to denon amp. 5.1. works fine from DVD.
Problem seems to be that OS X ignores the 5.1 soundtrack in the encoded file.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you put a DVD in on your Mac, do you get surround sound from that to your speakers?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Am using optical to denon amp. 5.1. works fine from DVD.
Problem seems to be that OS X ignores the 5.1 soundtrack in the encoded file.

You need to install Perian. Presuming this is a file with both AAC and AC3, you need to open the file and disable AAC and enable AC3. The Apple TV autodetects which audio track to use, your Mac does not. Also, the latest version of QT conflicts with Perian.

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
england
to cave man

Thanks for advice. I have perian. How do I disable aac and enable ac3. Is there a version of QT that you recommend with perian.
Thanks

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
In iTunes I see the option to select 5.1 or stereo when watching a movie (within the play/stop/skip bar that pops up when you mouse over it). When I select surround it does not output any sound as I have analog speakers hooked up. Try seeing if this works. I play all movies via iTunes, wish front row could do this.

Not sure I quite understand what you are doing, but I think you have a Mac hooked up to a receiver for audio processing. If this is the case then the above should tell you if you can get surround from OSX to Denon. Again, I haven't been able to test this, but it seems like it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.