Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aronMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Denver, Colorado
Hello all,

I gotta be honest, this is one of my first posts on MacRumors! I am simply looking for some general feedback from other MacBook Pro users concerning wireless issues that I am having.

I purchased the very first MacBook Pro 17 inch models and recently I have been having issues with my airport not working well with any networks (extremely slow when connected to any network). After a fresh format and install of leopard I am still having the issues and the genius's at the Apple store here in Denver are claiming that there is no known software compliance issues or anything along these lines, but there is no guarantee that they will fix any hardware even if I send in the unit.

I have a Mac IT buddy who has been trying to help me out with this issue and has no definite answers, but keeps falling back on the fact that Apple is having wireless issues across all notebooks, causing industries including the New York education systems to stop using Apple products and go back to PC's...

My question is, is it a known issue of Apple laptops having wireless connection problems OR is there any known software that could be causing the problem, is there a fix? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated as I am a small web business owner and I use my MBP as my primary and will be trying to resolve the issue myself as opposed to sending my comp back and being without a computer for 7-10 business days. Thanks in advance!:)

Aron

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I'm having a lot of issues with my new MBP too. It won't connect to my home network when I start up and it when I do manage to get it connected, it won't connect back up after sleep mode. Most of the time when I try and connect it just keeps saying "connection timed out".

I never had any problems with my wifi on my old PowerBook G4 and that was running Leopard too.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
10.5.3 was released today and is supposed to have a host of fixes for 802.1x. Give it a try and report back.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
So far that fix seems to be working. After the install it connected to the network with no problems after restart. I just tested putting it to sleep and after waking it up it was back on the network.

So hopefully this has been solved.

Bmode

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
California, USA
I've had a few issues too with the Wireless connection in my home network, but it's nothing like trying to connect with the PC HP laptop I used to have. It would just sit there trying to find the signal when I was 2ft away from the base. At least the Mac shows you options, and let's you re-connect if the signal is lost. I choose the Mac hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.