Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
No, this is not a thread about little american flag lapel pins.

I have a small pin that I'd like to wear on the lapel of my suit coat every once in a while, but I have no idea what the dos and don'ts of lapel pins are. Are only certain pins acceptable as lapel pins? Are there certain times I shouldn't wear one (ie, is it okay with a blazer, pinstripes, etc.)?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah what's the story with those pins? Have they always been there? I only really noticed them after September 11 (most of which occurred on September 12th here).

As for your question, I reckon just wear the bugger, etiquette be damned.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
If you have to ask, then you do not yet have the conviction to wear the message the pin conveys.

As you mature you will find yourself saying, to no one in particular, "**** that, I'm wearing it!!!".

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm not really so fond of them myself (I think they can be alittled distracting, simply because you see them so seldom), but whatever floats your boat. If you like it or the pin in question has sentimental value, wear it and public opinion be, well, darned!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Basically you are free to wear whatever you want, but a little discretion is usually a good thing depending on what the pin is and where you are wearing it.... ;)

JNB

macrumors 604
Without concerning myself as to the what or why, the how of a lapel pin (gents here, ladies do whatever they want, apparently) is on the left lapel, centered width-wise, about 2-3" below the collar/lapel break. Size is up to you, but should be small ebough as to not be distracting (1" width or less).

Traditionally, no more than one lapel pin is worn at a time.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Naked lady pins a la truck mud flaps are acceptable at all times and for all occasions.
That would certainly be acceptable at all times .. :)

I was thinking more about a situation where wearing a Glasgow Rangers supporters Club badge at a Glasgow Celtic convention would not be a good idea ... :eek:

In case this doesn't make any kind of sense. Glasgow Rangers football club supporters and Glasgow Celtic football club supporters are mortal enemies .. :eek::eek: (and I'm not joking)

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Just keep it simple and limit it to one pin. More than one makes it "flair"

OSflaircralt.jpg

Antares

macrumors 68000
I wear a lapel on my suit jacket when I wear a suit for work. I've never thought about whether to wear it on the right or left...never saw guidence on that and have seen people wear one on both sides.

FYI: It's my year pin at the company. We get them at 1, 3 ,5, 10... (5 year intervals after that, I believe).

Outside of a professional setting, I don't think I would wear one. Though, I used to wear a USFSA pin when I was younger.

Lapel pins add a nice touch to a jacket. They serve as a way to show off that you are affiliated with some association, party or group, etc. They assist in building comradery and communal spirit between peers.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
As a couple of folks have pointed out, there are general rules of etiquette, but there isn't anything hard and fast. However, I would suggest considering the environment that you will be in more than the supporting garment. Many places you go strive for independence from outside influence and will frown on public display of affiliation. Additionally, the use of a lapel pin, unless in widespread practice is considered a little less professional than having a clean lapel.

As always, consider your audience.

SarahH212

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
New York
I believe it is all about conviction. Many people have causes, so for instance I wear my Autism Awareness Ribbon Pin on my work outfits, all of the time. Now, I am a teacher, so this is extremely acceptable.

I do believe there might be a time an place not to wear your pin.

A few examples:
Funeral (This might be a little tacky)
Exercising (We all have causes but there is a time and place)

I think common sense applies here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.