Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
I know some have complaints about Drobo. But cheaper storage is always good news to me.

"If you're having a tough time picking a storage solution, the Drobo folks may have just made your choice a lot easier. Starting today, the company is offering the first-ever bundles of its much-loved drive array with Western Digital GreenPower SATA hard drives in 2TB and 4TB configurations at a pretty deep discount. Besides knocking $50 off the price of a standalone Drobo (reducing the cost to $449), the 2TB and 4TB versions will clock in at $749 and $1075 apiece, giving you a savings of up to $528. The deals require a mail-in rebate, and you can still add any type of drive you want."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/28/data-robotics-offers-drobo-western-digital-combos-at-deep-disc/

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
4TB for $1075? No way. I think I'll go build my own; thanks.

Good luck with that.

With 1TB SATA drives running around $200ea, I'd like to know how you plan on getting the functionality of a Drobo for much less.

I like the idea of the Drobo a lot. Unfortunately for me it's a bit slow and USB only so it's not in the cards. This bundle seems like a pretty decent price just the same.

A.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
You guys can all thank me. I ordered a Drobo and 2 1TB WD drives from Amazon last week and it was considerably more expensive than $725. I have the Leo Laporte problem -as soon as I buy something, something new and/or cheaper comes out the next week.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
You guys can all thank me. I ordered a Drobo and 2 1TB WD drives from Amazon last week and it was considerably more expensive than $725. I have the Leo Laporte problem -as soon as I buy something, something new and/or cheaper comes out the next week.

The way you fix this is to only buy things the instant they come out :) You probably wait for 'reviews' or to make sure 'there aren't any problems'.

Just jump in with both feed and your credit card and abandon fence sitting, and you will never have this problem. You'll have other, bigger problems.

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Enter "macbreak" (Thanks to Leo) at checkout for an additional $50 off.

You can't beat $749 with a $50 rebate for that price.

The Drobo is supposed to be awesome. I have had RAID arrays in the past and they are a pain when a drive goes down. With the Drobo all you do is pull the bad one and pop in the new and walk away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.