Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
rbarris,
Question! Why has Blizzard done absolutely nothing about all of the hackers on WC3? Tonight me and my partner just got to the tournament finals... as in Round 5... final game of the tournament and we got vs these huge noob maphackers and lost. If they had no maphack we would have owned them EASILY. This has been a problem for like a year now... same with tie hacking and disc hacking. Why has Blizzard ignored it all and stopped caring? Why don't they just update Warden.........

... also why is there no 1.22 patch for OS X on Westfall?

When is the patch being released? :(

If you can only answer the first question that's good enough for me...

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Also he's not obligated to answer questions that aren't even his department (or any questions at all for that matter ;) ).

--Eric

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Blizzard in my experience has been excellent at keeping their online community free of cheats. Of course there are always new ones that haven't been fixed, and it is unfortunate that you ended up getting a match with cheats. But what can you do?

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ok, sorry if this comes off across as rude but....

You guys must not play the game at the same level as I do. I've played this game since it came out and have some very high accomplishments. I play in leagues (clans vs clans at a high level), was ranked 1st in 2v2 arranged team, etc. I will try to reply to most of you...

1) Why not posted in the Warcraft forums? Because absolutely NO moderators respond, nobody listens, nobody cares... it is full of flames, profanity, random stuff both rude and annoying and most of the time not even Warcraft related... check it out for yourself

2) Blizzard is no longer excellent at keeping their online play fair and hack free. No updates, no bannings, no patch, no nothing has taken place in over a year. They do not care about you as a Warcraft 3 player any longer, they want your money on WoW or SC2. I never thought Blizzard would be like that. It is unfortunate that I keep getting matched up vs cheaters... it happens in 50% of the games on US East.

3) I realize he's not obligated to reply, just wondering if he has any insight as to why

4) I am 100% sure they maphacked. It's not about luck man. Incase you weren't aware, since Blizzard hasn't done anything about hacks for atleast a year now... (no bannings or updates to Warden - the 'hack' detector)... there are now tie-hacks (which can be used in ladder games so no change on record occurs but game ends), disc-hacks (which drop a player) and maphack (self-explanatory). Anyways, after playing somebody, I can tell whether or not they map hack 75% of the time based on the way they play. For definite proof (and in the case of the game I lost in the tournament finals) one way you can check is by watching the replay. You watch from their point of view... and you can clearly see that they click your units and buildings even though they are out of sight range... as in fog of war should NOT allow them to be able to see them.. but since there is a red circle around your unit or building it means they hack since they're able to click them. There are so many other ways... not scouting and going directly to base.... In this specific match they fast teched tier 3 for knights/bear/mountain giants and my partner got master banshees for possession.. and instead (without scouting) they switched to dryads and spell breakers making the banshees absolutely useless. There's no way that is "chance" or them getting "lucky". Most of the time if you think they hack these days, they do. Blizzard hasn't changed anything and hacks are undetectable since they haven't done anything. They just don't care at all... it's pretty pathetic and sad. If you would like to see what I mean, here is the replay file. Just load it, watch from their point of view.. take off fog of war and notice that no scouting takes place by them at all and yet early on in the game they click our buildings and units... = hacks! The replay can be found here: http://www.wcreplays.com/page?section=pub_replays&id=66105

The worst part about it is if you download the tiehack and keep it turned on... but don't use it... you can't be tie hacked yourself. There is no mac version of this tie hack (just like there is no mac version of any of the others) and so I have no defense for it. What's really messed is this... If I'm playing a 2v2 game and my partner has the anti-tiehack on, I will get disc'd but he won't. The other team who hacked is then able to CONTROL both of our armies, build units and use Town Portalss etc. It's so messed. B.Net is a mess....

Sorry for posting the rant on MR

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I think posting a thread requiring his personal attention is a great way of discouraging him from reading the forums.
Also, whenever you use the word "noob" or other adjectives to belittle a third person you lose quite a bit of audience and interest.

Aside from that, I feel your pain.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I'm a competitive brood war player myself, so my situation could be a bit different...

Blizzard stopped caring about online games being hack-free in SC too, but most of competitive online gaming is on the 3rd party "ICCup" server which has developed its own anti-hack launcher and with additional methods of finding hackers through replays, its safe to say that most of BW players don't hack.

This was achieved with zero support from Blizzard. Perhaps there's something similar in W3?

Official servers are full of hackers and total noobs who just bought the game and don't yet know there's a much better server to play on.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'm a competitive brood war player myself, so my situation could be a bit different...

Blizzard stopped caring about online games being hack-free in SC too, but most of competitive online gaming is on the 3rd party "ICCup" server which has developed its own anti-hack launcher and with additional methods of finding hackers through replays, its safe to say that most of BW players don't hack.

This was achieved with zero support from Blizzard. Perhaps there's something similar in W3?

Official servers are full of hackers and total noobs who just bought the game and don't yet know there's a much better server to play on.

Yes, there is a client called GGC however it's not supported on Macs :(

And in terms of calling someone a noob... how does that discredit anything? They were huge noobs who were bad and hacked and won because of it. Simple as that... the replay is there to prove it.

Why would that discourage him from coming to the forums because of this? It's been done many other times for other members... whats the difference? He's just got knowledge on the issue so I'm asking for his opinion help if he wants to post. It's not like I've demanded he responds.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
This is exactly why

WC II was the last game I played online vs. strangers. It just isn't any fun anymore because of hackers and whatnot. I prefer to play 1 player or LAN games as I know everyone there and of course, you can punch the person if they do bring a hack:D

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
WC II was the last game I played online vs. strangers. It just isn't any fun anymore because of hackers and whatnot. I prefer to play 1 player or LAN games as I know everyone there and of course, you can punch the person if they do bring a hack:D

Yeah, but it's not fun beating on your friends when your skill level is much higher than theirs. The game gets boring way too quickly. Online is the way to go... Blizzard just needs to step it up.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
rbarris? Hello? :(

Why does he personally have to answer? There are generally people out there who would probably know, possibly more on the subject

+ No one really plays that game online, there main priority is WoW, for online play

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
MapHackers make me into a better WC3 player. :D

Shame you dont see it that way.

And I really have to argue against SC having hax, seeing as how its a friggen national pastime in South Korea...the fact SC is the most balanced RTS from Blizz...says something about how its still going strong. I doubt it could, if there were hacks all the time...

But hey, I only play DotA with Frozen Throne, and 1v1 ladder on RoC...no hax in years to be seen.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
MapHackers make me into a better WC3 player. :D

Shame you dont see it that way.

And I really have to argue against SC having hax, seeing as how its a friggen national pastime in South Korea...the fact SC is the most balanced RTS from Blizz...says something about how its still going strong. I doubt it could, if there were hacks all the time...

But hey, I only play DotA with Frozen Throne, and 1v1 ladder on RoC...no hax in years to be seen.

You're kidding. No hacks? .................................................................... I'm sorry but you've definitely been hacked against and you just weren't able to tell or didn't know. It annoys me so much when people say there are no hacks or that they haven't seen any. Simply not true at all. It's a fact that everyone on Battle.net has been hacked vs ATLEAST once.

Maphacks make you better? lol? Do you know how hard it is to win with hacks vs a good player? It's even hard vs a bad player... you just have to have superior micro since you now have no strategy. You don't play as you normally would if they didn't have hacks so there is absolutely no training taking place. What you have to do is have two different play styles... one for hackers... where you know they see you (but how do you know from start of the game?) and if you play that way it's SEVERELY limited to playing normally.

Ok, so he doesn't PERSONALLY have to answer but why does it hurt to address it to him? There's nobody else on this forum that works at Blizzard that we or I know of, so nobody else is more capable answering the subject other than: Blizzard doesn't care about you anymore. I'm hoping to see that's not the case and maybe they're working on something. They promised a patch over a year ago... it was late by 6 months. It's been in Beta for another 3 months and have had no word on the forums about its progress and when it will be released. Also the patch changes are SOOOO small, like literally 10 things which should not have taken a year to make up. The changes are something someone could change in map editor.... seriously....

There are still a large amount of WC3 players contrary to your belief, most of them are playing custom games which totally suck... due to so many hackers playing these days. It's stupid how they don't do anything about the hacks so we are enticed to buy a hacking free game like WoW or SC2 when it's not hard to eliminate the hacks. Pathetic.

There are probably hacks for SC, I can't personally say as I don't play it but if Blizzard is treating SC the same way as it is WC3, then there are definitely hacks rampant on the servers. The reason why it is still popular in Asia is because it is like a professional sport. Good players play vs other good players on LANs, not online where they can hack. It's totally different. If someone was to just play on their ladder vs another player on ladder there would definitely be hacks used. The same is true for WC3, there are pros where obviously there are no hacks involved... they play on LANs, different countries, etc... all checked for no hacks. How can you be a pro at a game if you hack?

SC and WC3 are also big in Asia because they are televised on TV, so people watch and know about the game and play it. It's not just players, but people love to watch matches, etc. It's like a TV show.

I'll take out his name to make all you people happy... sheesh

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

There are definitely hacks in BW scene... top foreigners (non-koreans) are constantly caught using hacks. But at least they are actually caught and punished (by community, not by Blizzard). If top foreign players hack, lesser skilled players also hack (and are banned for it), but catching a hacker-noob makes less noise in the community of course ;) .

The Pro scene is hack-free because they play on LAN and SC is treated very seriously there - its a professional sport with huge sponsoring companies and 12 big Pro-teams.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
There are definitely hacks in BW scene... top foreigners (non-koreans) are constantly caught using hacks. But at least they are actually caught and punished (by community, not by Blizzard). If top foreign players hack, lesser skilled players also hack (and are banned for it), but catching a hacker-noob makes less noise in the community of course ;) .

The Pro scene is hack-free because they play on LAN and SC is treated very seriously there - its a professional sport with huge sponsoring companies and 12 big Pro-teams.

yeah same with wc3... its just such a pain

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ok, does anyone ELSE have any insight as to when the patch will be released, why Blizzard has done nothing about hackers, anything at all?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I partially agree, but I think its because battling with hackers doesn't interest Blizz financially.

I think that's cynical and unfair. They upgraded War3 to intel native long after it had dried up as a revenue stream, and released the no-cd patch even after that. Blizzard takes care of its customers past the point of its own financial interest to a greater degree than any other company I'm aware of.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I think that's cynical and unfair. They upgraded War3 to intel native long after it had dried up as a revenue stream, and released the no-cd patch even after that. Blizzard takes care of its customers past the point of its own financial interest to a greater degree than any other company I'm aware of.

Yes, but I was talking about battling with hackers - its a VERY hard task. I think its safe to say its impossible to prevent hacks in any multiplayer game. Even with antihack systems there are hackers - many of them.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Haiggy, you were never THAT good! :p Come on now. The only advantage hacking has in WC3 when involving very high level players is saving time/resources in scouting. With the highest level players in the world it is not ever game changing even though it may give slight advantages at certain points in the game.

I don't understand how them scouting/know what you are up to is an excuse for losing the game. Why didn't you scout them and react to their changes. I'm not saying hacking isn't something that should be tolerated, and it should be discouraged and prevented if possible. However, if you can't beat someone who is hacking in WC3 you should aim to improve your scouting techniques since higher level players will "hack" by having better scouting skills.

Anyway, get over it.... If you are honestly serious about playing competitively there are many leagues and tournaments that employ anti-cheat/hack and contain almost entirely serious and friendly players.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Haiggy, you were never THAT good! :p Come on now. The only advantage hacking has in WC3 when involving very high level players is saving time/resources in scouting. With the highest level players in the world it is not ever game changing even though it may give slight advantages at certain points in the game.

I don't understand how them scouting/know what you are up to is an excuse for losing the game. Why didn't you scout them and react to their changes. I'm not saying hacking isn't something that should be tolerated, and it should be discouraged and prevented if possible. However, if you can't beat someone who is hacking in WC3 you should aim to improve your scouting techniques since higher level players will "hack" by having better scouting skills.

Anyway, get over it.... If you are honestly serious about playing competitively there are many leagues and tournaments that employ anti-cheat/hack and contain almost entirely serious and friendly players.

lol Edot, that was like 3 years ago man... when I'd mass hunts and think I was good. I've improved A LOT since then. Thanks.

Anyways no, that does not save them resources by scouting. Are you crazy? Entire strategies change.. there's no reason why I should have to scout them and them not have to scout me... and me just guessing if they're hacking or not. Ever heard of creep jacking? Especially on a map like Avalanche with the combo we had... its just an imbalanced matchup. Creep jacking is probably the main and most hard thing to defend against vs a hacker... because creeping is necessary in games.. and if they know where you are.. they can creep all they want and jack you and make you force TPs but you have no idea where they are and could get jacked any moment so you can't be as aggressive. I do play in leagues where there are no hacks but still, playing with friends online shouldn't be polluted with hackers majority of the games.

I have to agree with the other posted about how they released an Intel version and everything even after it wasn't a huge revenue stream. Blizzard USED TO, so I thought, take good care of their customers and now I can't say the same.

Edot let's solo sometime if I'm not THAT good. Then we can have fun and I can play vs somebody who doesn't hack and it will be fun. Your dota skills won't save you.
Or we could just play 2v2 in an arranged team and get hacked vs every single game... then what? It's not like if I wanted to play with you I'd play with you in a league to avoid hackers.

Yeah its hard to eliminate hackers but when it's over 50% that's TERRIBLE. Ban all the hackers and teach them a lesson, make them go spend another $15 on a CD key before they think about doing it again. Man.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.