Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neupane00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2008
i tried to look around but did find good answer. I want to be able to send sms / text message from my computer.. mac obviously (who uses windows anymore :p) jokes aside.. is there any application that allows me to do that? Years ago i did that with razr using the motorola phoneTools.
I want to be able to connect iPhone to my computer, and then use some kinda itunes plugin or any other application to sync up my text message and send and receive text messages. any idea guys?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
There's OS X software which will allow you to send SMS. Here's one, found in 3 seconds of googling: http://www.smsmac.com/en/

As for some sort of sync with iPhone's SMS, I haven't heard of any app that will do that. But, Google is your friend :)

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2008
You can easily send a sms from ichat. In ichat just go to file then 'send sms' can't really help you with the syncing part tho... haven't heard of anything like that..

neupane00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2008
There's OS X software which will allow you to send SMS. Here's one, found in 3 seconds of googling: http://www.smsmac.com/en/

As for some sort of sync with iPhone's SMS, I haven't heard of any app that will do that. But, Google is your friend :)

nah.. this is totally different man. this is without use of a phone. it goes thru internet.. There are 2 different ways to send SMS:
1) thru paid service (u dont even need mobile phone) - its that kinda service
2) there is an sms application, when ur phone is connected, it will use YOUR cell phone service as a modem and send thru ur phone plan. this is better cuz usually this kinda application also lets u send and receive sms. and also backs up ur sms messages. --> this is what i am looking for.

You can easily send a sms from ichat. In ichat just go to file then 'send sms' can't really help you with the syncing part tho... haven't heard of anything like that..

i chat will send it. but it will go thru your aim / mac internet message to the cell phone user. i am looking for something that sends thru my mobile cell phone line. that way the receiver gets the message as if it came from my cell phone. not some random number like "345-6564".. btw, any instant messenger is capable of doing this aol . msn, yahoo.. etc

ichat can send them for free?? or does it use your mobile service?

its free.. not thru mobile service. which is good. but the down part is that receiver will get text message like from some random number.. and when they try to send u back, its only good as long as u are logged in the same session of chat..

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i chat will send it. but it will go thru your aim / mac internet message to the cell phone user. i am looking for something that sends thru my mobile cell phone line. that way the receiver gets the message as if it came from my cell phone. not some random number like "345-6564".. btw, any instant messenger is capable of doing this aol . msn, yahoo.. etc

except in australia grr

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Have a look at the widget list at Apple. Just put in SMS and you'll find something :rolleyes:
I know there is at least 1 decent one that'll go via your mobile.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Syphone will sync text messages to your computer, but you can't use it to send them.

I don't know of any programs for Mac that let you send SMS through your phone. I do know of some for Windows that support Windows Mobile smartphones.

neupane00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Have a look at the widget list at Apple. Just put in SMS and you'll find something :rolleyes:
I know there is at least 1 decent one that'll go via your mobile.

haha.. i did, there is nothing. there is tons for other smartphones in windows. i cant believe this.

Pimptastic

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Up North, UK
I use BluePhoneElite 2, don't know how campatible with the iPhone it is though, you can find out here http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/phones/

Dial and receive calls.
* Use your computer's microphone and speakers like a Bluetooth hands-free device!
* Phone to computer call-log synchronization
* Incoming call notification with caller ID and customizable alerts
* On-screen call controls and duration tracking
* Search and export call details with notes

Manage text messages.

* Access messages when phone is not connected
* Message changes synchronize when phone connects
* Organize messages in local folders
* Incoming message notification
* Searchable database supports 100,000+ messages

http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I use BluePhoneElite 2, don't know how campatible with the iPhone it is though, you can find out here http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/phones/

Dial and receive calls.
* Use your computer's microphone and speakers like a Bluetooth hands-free device!
* Phone to computer call-log synchronization
* Incoming call notification with caller ID and customizable alerts
* On-screen call controls and duration tracking
* Search and export call details with notes

Manage text messages.

* Access messages when phone is not connected
* Message changes synchronize when phone connects
* Organize messages in local folders
* Incoming message notification
* Searchable database supports 100,000+ messages

http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

According to that site the iphone blocks the SMS capability over bluetooth.

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
Yeah it does

even the calling doesnt really work properly.

Due to the iPhone's bluetooth stack, you will not be able to send text messages via bluetooth through your mac.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Hi! First post.

Maybe the new stack in the iphone 2 will allow this? I suspect apple will add more bluetooth features to allow wireless headphones, etc..

kristin2323

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
i tried to look around but did find good answer. I want to be able to send sms / text message from my computer.. mac obviously (who uses windows anymore :p) jokes aside.. is there any application that allows me to do that? Years ago i did that with razr using the motorola phoneTools.
I want to be able to connect iPhone to my computer, and then use some kinda itunes plugin or any other application to sync up my text message and send and receive text messages. any idea guys?

Don't know where you were looking. I found a ton, here is a example of a compiled list of sites that will allow USA Domestic and International Free SMS text messaging. The compiled list link!

Some of them will require that you know of the cell phone carriers name, before being able to send a message.

Hope this helps you.

Kristin,

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use BluePhoneElite as well - brilliant software.

People often wonder how I'm able to reply so quickly.

fountainheader

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Let's get back to the topic

I know this is an older thread but, like neupane00, I have been hanging out for something like this since I upgraded from my nokia 6230 using Phone Director from macmedia.sk

It is frustrating when people (kristin2323, SFStateStudent, neven) post smart replies without reading the original topic. We do not want to be able to send free sms from ichat or a browser or a seperate app. We want to be able to use our mac as a terminal for our iphone sms - being able to type out an SMS with our keyboard, on our screen and then have the iphone send it.

This is a really key feature for me - I used it the whole time on my Nokia. It seems :apple: have it blocked. :(

Anyone got any clues if there is a way to do it?

adamblack50

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
sending text / sms to phones from Mac

i saw the above but have searched ichat adn cant fnd any such ssytem,?

what am i doing wrong maybe someone can explain

I'm trying to find a way to send sms texts for less than the mac sms system suggests i.e. $50 for 50 messages = 10 cents each.

I used to be able to send for free,

callwave used to do it, but no longer it appears? not sure why.

In other countries you can send international texts for free, so theoretically one should be able to via skype, i chat or something.

Anyone out ther have any solutions?

help? :)

MyMaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
I use TreAson SMS... It's not as good as BluePhoneElite which I use with my Nokias. But it's the only thing that lets me send/receive SMS from my iPhone 3GS with my mac. I wish there'd be more softwares to do just that. I'm not very keen on texting using the iphone.. I just wanna be able to use a "real" keyboard to send SMS. *sigh*

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Google Voice lets you send SMS for free from your desktop and you decide whether the response gets sent back to your iphone or email.
On the iPhone, it's the same and if you do email responses you'll never get charged anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.