Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A ModMyiPhone thread compiles a list of currently working and not-working 3rd party apps under the iPhone 1.1.1 firmware update.

The iPhone 1.1.1 Firmware update initially broke installation of 3rd party applications, but recent methods have reopened the iPhone (and iPod touch).

As listed, many existing 3rd party apps work without modification.

Article Link

Ghibli

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Trieste - Italy
Really GREAT. I do not own an iPhone or an iPod Touch either. But I really think they are really GREAT!

They also report that an unlock is coming very soon...

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Save yourself all the time wasted on worrying about updates and wait for the widgets! They'll work better and you won't have to spend half your life fixing your iPhone.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Save yourself all the time wasted on worrying about updates and wait for the widgets! They'll work better and you won't have to spend half your life fixing your iPhone.

dude, why not save yourself the time you're wasting on naysaying 3rd party apps and STHU? everyone will be happier and you won't have to waste half your life blowing cold air on a perfectly good thread!

seriously, please go post in the widget thread and we will be fine hacking our phones to get the apps we prefer. it's win-win!

I am excited about rSBT coming, I really want to ut my apps in proper order. that's all I am waiting on so far. it's good to have IM back!

jailbroke last night. not too hard. :)

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Been to that thread, its more fun bugging all you wacko hackos. :)
Seriously, is it really worth all the time to get some silly little app on your iPhone? Or unlock it so you can go with another rip off carrier?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Seriously, is it really worth all the time to get some silly little app on your iPhone? Or unlock it so you can go with another rip off carrier?

In short, yes. Text messaging prices are ridiculous. 20 bucks for unlimited TEXT messages? what a rip-off, especially since I already can get gigs of data space for free with my unlimited data. I want my native IM app back. That's all. :cool:

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
In short, yes. Text messaging prices are ridiculous. 20 bucks for unlimited TEXT messages? what a rip-off, especially since I already can get gigs of data space for free with my unlimited data. I want my native IM app back. That's all. :cool:
I can buy that, I see your point, good luck.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006

When there is a widget to make my t-mo sim work, I may just do that. :rolleyes:

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
it would be awesome to have 3rd party apps on the ipod touch. one of the few drawbacks (besides no EDGE) of the touch is the missing mail app. can't wait for a reliable hack.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007

There are certain basic functions that many of us find ourselves without that prevent the iPhone from being a complete device. For me, it is a functional calculator that I can use without a network connection. There is a bookmarklet version that is almost viable, but painful to use. The lack of this basic (for me) functionality necessitates me to bring my big ass HP 50G with me. Sometimes I just need a square root... sometimes a cosine... but without these I have to guess at the numbers. Sad, seeing as I have a little computer in my pocket that could easily process the information.

Unlocking is a different story than 3rd party apps. There are specific situations where I can understand people wanting to be able to pop in a T-Mobile SIM card in the US where it doesn't hurt AT&T and Apple through their agreement. These are pretty rare, but they do exist. Consumer preference doesn't count on this one...

But, for people that travel internationally, the picture is much different. Roaming rates are absurd, especially for data. Purchasing a local pre-paid SIM is the only viable way to stay in touch when abroad. Having to buy an extra phone that works on the local network is an insult... especially when that substitute phone can't match the functionality of the phone you already own.

([RANT]I paid a lot of money for an international roaming plan for my Blackberry that didn't work. When it didn't work, Cingular wasn't working to help me out-- I would spend hours with no resolution on the phone. The solution to my problems was simple... let me use a local SIM card. This was impossible for them to permit though; even though they would let me unlock the phone, I needed a blackberry plan on my SIM for the phone to be functional for any data services. This is what has made me want to desperately avoid a blackberry for years, and I thought the iPhone would be my salvation. The reality is that is just isn't as well executed of a lock-in plan...[/RANT])

Apple and AT&T need to get with the current century and stop trying to lock their customers into services they can't provide.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
it would be awesome to have 3rd party apps on the ipod touch. one of the few drawbacks (besides no EDGE) of the touch is the missing mail app. can't wait for a reliable hack.

The iPhone 1.1.1 Mail works lovely on the touch once you jailbreak it...

You just need to put the GMM.framework into /System/Library/Frameworks (you need this for google maps too), and MobileMailSettings.bundle in the /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/

Jailbreaking is currently still a bit of an involved process, and you need to use the tiff exploit for the touch, but on the plus side you only need to do it once :)

(FWIW, i don't own a touch, but I helped a friend jailbreak his yesterday ;))

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
There are certain basic functions that many of us find ourselves without that prevent the iPhone from being a complete device. For me, it is a functional calculator that I can use without a network connection. There is a bookmarklet version that is almost viable, but painful to use. The lack of this basic (for me) functionality necessitates me to bring my big ass HP 50G with me. Sometimes I just need a square root... sometimes a cosine... but without these I have to guess at the numbers. Sad, seeing as I have a little computer in my pocket that could easily process the information.

Unlocking is a different story than 3rd party apps. There are specific situations where I can understand people wanting to be able to pop in a T-Mobile SIM card in the US where it doesn't hurt AT&T and Apple through their agreement. These are pretty rare, but they do exist. Consumer preference doesn't count on this one...

But, for people that travel internationally, the picture is much different. Roaming rates are absurd, especially for data. Purchasing a local pre-paid SIM is the only viable way to stay in touch when abroad. Having to buy an extra phone that works on the local network is an insult... especially when that substitute phone can't match the functionality of the phone you already own.

([RANT]I paid a lot of money for an international roaming plan for my Blackberry that didn't work. When it didn't work, Cingular wasn't working to help me out-- I would spend hours with no resolution on the phone. The solution to my problems was simple... let me use a local SIM card. This was impossible for them to permit though; even though they would let me unlock the phone, I needed a blackberry plan on my SIM for the phone to be functional for any data services. This is what has made me want to desperately avoid a blackberry for years, and I thought the iPhone would be my salvation. The reality is that is just isn't as well executed of a lock-in plan...[/RANT])

Apple and AT&T need to get with the current century and stop trying to lock their customers into services they can't provide.

very well said!

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The iPhone 1.1.1 Mail works lovely on the touch once you jailbreak it...

You just need to put the GMM.framework into /System/Library/Frameworks (you need this for google maps too), and MobileMailSettings.bundle in the /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/

Jailbreaking is currently still a bit of an involved process, and you need to use the tiff exploit for the touch, but on the plus side you only need to do it once :)

(FWIW, i don't own a touch, but I helped a friend jailbreak his yesterday ;))
How did you get the apps to show up on your main menu? I added them to the /Applications directory of the DMG you move over, and made them executable, but my main menu looks the same as it always does.

*But, my calendar does now have the plus button, so that app must have installed correctly. :)

Edit: Fixed it, sorry to thread clog. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.