Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Dear iPod users,

Yes I have a dumb question I want to ask. Don't roll your eye balls just yet, please bear with me a little. I've actually googled for this and searched within MacRumours but in vain.

First off, I am manually managing my songs on iTunes and iPod. I have created a playlist in iTunes and it is populated with songs from a CD. I then drag the playlist into my iPod. Both the playlist itself as well as the songs are then uploaded.

Now I wish to delete these songs. "Easy", I thought to myself. I right click on the playlist and click delete. What happens is that the playlist is removed, but the songs are left behind. So I try it a different way. This time, instead of deleting the playlist, I use "select all" to highlight all the songs under the playlist and delete these. What happens now is that the songs are removed from the playlist, but they still reside on the iPod.

Thus my question is: How do I remove all the songs under a certain playlist?

Why does Apple make deletion so difficult? This is as frustrating as trying to delete photos from iPhotos. Keeps removing the photos from the album but not deleting the photos themselves. ARGH!

heppy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
then I suspect you need to not manually manage your ipod that way, when you connect and sync, whatever is deleted from your library will be removed from the ipod

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
then I suspect you need to not manually manage your ipod that way, when you connect and sync, whatever is deleted from your library will be removed from the ipod

Thanks for your reply. But I do not wish to delete from the library! Perhaps I am using the iTunes/iPod in the wrong manner, since I am a PC -> Mac convert.

Basically, I have a bunch of MP3s, each one placed neatly into a directory representing a CD. In ordinary MP3 players, one simply copies the directory into the player and one can choose to play all MP3s within the directory. In iPod, one cannot do this.

So what I did was create a playlist in iTunes in the name of the CD. I then drag all the MP3s from Finder into the playlist. So now I have a lot of playlists, each one representing a CD. Next I drag the playlists I want (i.e. the CDs I want) into iPod and it uploads the songs. Now, if I want to delete the songs, how do I do that? I do not wish to delete the playlist in iTunes. I just want to delete the playlist, along with the songs in iPod.

Is this so difficult? Seems like a simple request. Delete songs.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
You can't delete the actual song from a 'Playlist'. Songs in Playlists are just links to the actual song which located in the 'Music' section of the 'Library'. This is should be the top folder on your iTunes page. Delete the songs from the 'Music' there.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Also - if you are moving files/mp3's around within iTunes using the 'Finder' that is a BIG no-no! You should only work within iTunes using iTunes - not the Finder. iTunes is really a database with a music player interface at the top. Almost all my playlists are what are called 'Smart' playlists that take advantage of the power of the database. But I do burn a music cd periodically from a playlist similar to what you are trying to do. I make a 'non-smart' playlist. Drag songs from the iTunes Music Folder (top folder on the iTunes page). Burn my cd and then delete the 'non-smart' playlist. The actual songs still remain in the Music folder. If I don't want the songs at all anymore they can be deleted from the Music folder.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thank you bdj33ranch for your help. I shall try using Smart Folders as per your advise.

But if I delete the songs from "Music" under iPod, I have to find and select each song individually... is there no other way? They are grouped so nicely under a playlist, I really wish there's a simple way to delete the group in one go. I can upload a group, but can't delete a group...

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Try the different 'Sort' arrows at the top of each of the columns across the top of the iTune page. Or, set up iTunes to display star 'Rating' (View - View Options). When you are ready to delete assign all the songs a 0 or 1 star rating (just click on the rating). Then go to your 'Music' folder and sort by star rating.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
I highly encourage using 'Smart Playlists'. For example: - Sorry LONG post:

The huge advantage of a Smart Playlist is that you only have to ‘work’ a song one time - when you first import it. I like lots of different types of music - Rock, Pop, New Age, Country, Latin, German and others. I also have my favorites for each of those genres.

So I have a ‘Rock’ playlist and a ‘Rock Favorites’ playlist. When I first import a rock song into iTunes I assign it characteristics. By highlighting the song and doing a ‘get info’ command you will get a screen. Click on the ‘Info’ tab and you can modify the ‘Genre’ however you want. Maybe you want the song to go into your ‘Rock’, ‘Pop’, and ‘Latin’ playlists. You can do that here by separating your genre’s by commas like this - Rock, Pop, Latin. That song will now go into any playlist where you tell that playlist to look for one (or more) of those genres. But I also really like this new song so I assign it a ‘Star Rating’ of 5. I have a ‘Rock Favorites’ playlist that looks for the genre of ‘Rock’ but also a ‘Star Rating’ of 4 or greater. Now my song will also automatically populate that playlist. It is now in two places - the ‘Rock’ playlist AND the ‘Rock Favorites’ playlist.

By the way - ‘Star Rating’ can automatically update iTunes FROM your iPod if you have iTunes set up to do that. So I have yet another smart playlist that I call ‘Under Review’. When I first import new songs I usually set their genres and give them all an initial 3 Star rating. My ‘Under Review’ playlist is set to gather all songs that have a ‘Star Rating’ of 3 or Less AND have been played less than 4 times. If I listen to my ‘Under Review’ playlist I have three opportunities to change the ‘Star Rating’. If I do nothing then after it has played 3 times it will automatically drop out of the ‘Under Review’ playlist. But it will still remain in the appropriate genre playlist. If I change the ‘Star Rating’ to 4 or 5 it will drop out of the ‘Under Review’ playlist. It will remain in the appropriate genre playlist BUT will also go into the appropriate ‘(genre) Favorites’ playlist.

heppy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
Aside from the smart playlists thing, which is a great idea. i concur that you really should only be using iTunes to interface with your ipod.

I think I understand what you want to do now though. Rather than have iTunes automatically sync your library to your ipod you need to change some settings.

When your ipod is connected and you've loaded up iTunes click on it's icon and settings and then find the tab related to Sync selected playlists, then you can decide which playlists to have on your ipod. Unticking them keeps the songs and playlists in your library but removes them from your ipod.

Hope that is what you're looking for.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Dear bdj33ranch, I am sorry for the late reply. I've been meaning to thank you for the good and detailed advice you offered.

I used to use the rating system as well, until I realised that it was so easy to lose this information. The problem is that I keep my media on a file server. Due to re-organisation of file hierarchy etc., the location of my media files can change over the years. In such cases, iTunes is unable to rebuild the library by identifying the file's hash. When this happens, all the ratings and number of times played info are gone. As such, I've decided not to rate every song - just rate my favourite few, for fear of wasting this effort the next time I rebuild the library.

This is where your smart folders come in. With smart folders, I now realise I can rebuild the playlist with ease, since the smart folders will automatically generate the playlist by predefined criteria. I had not thought of this before, and had to redo the playlist manually. You noted that one can set genre by inputting the information in the "Get Info" function. However, wouldn't this mean one has to do it one song at a time? Isn't it possible to do it in iTunes itself, where one can apply changes to ID3 tags of multiple files?

Your under review methodology is interesting, and sounds like a life hacking tool. It's a way to make life easier. Again thanks for your comments.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi Heppy, thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean, and I think this is what I am looking for. Basically, I choose which playlist (in my case, a CD) I want on my iPod by synching it. When I do not want that playlist (i.e. CD) any longer, I just untick the playlist, and it along with the songs will be removed from my iPod. I think I get it. Thanks! This solves the issue.

So I guess I will be using smart folders (bdj33ranch) + synching (Heppy) from now on. Cool. Thanks guys.

My next endeavour would be how to use smart folders in Mail.app, and have it synched with Gmail on IMAP. Ha ha ha. But that's another thread in another section.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
There may be better ways - but you can do multiple 'edits' within iTunes under 'get info'. You might have to experiment a bit with your column sort. But you can highlight multiple songs (stay inside iTunes) just like selecting multiple files using the Finder. Then do a 'get info' and when the window comes up you can can change multiple things, like genre, all at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.